Converting extract to AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnets99

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the jump to AG very soon. I'm in the process of getting the mashing equipment all put together and what not. Question is this-
I have a couple of extract recipes that are REALLY tasty. Is there a method of converting the amount of extract in a given recipe to what would be needed in grains? Also, if I'm using different extracts (ie:dark lme for a stout), would I need to get a different type of grain? One of the reasons I'm switching is because I've figured out a significant drop in my per batch price based on buying grain in bulk. I suppose if I have to, I can just come up with some new recipes. Any help would be appreciated.

It is very easy to convert the recipes, but there is no one sentence solution to this...post the recipe and folks can help from there.

Also, if you are buying in bulk you will want to buy a base malt (e.g. generic 2-row, maris otter, pilsner malt, etc.). Again your recipe will more or less dictate this...post and suggestions can be made.

This is the one I really want to keep:

0.75 lbs. Crystal 20L
6.00 lbs. Amber Liquid Malt Extract

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.55 23.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.55 6.1 30 min.
1.00 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.15 2.3 5 min

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

(I plan on going with 2 row as a base malt for all my recipes)

OK so here is my guess:

8lbs 2-row
2lbs munich (10L)
.5 crystal 60L
.75 crystal 20L

This give ~10 SRM and 1.057 (assuming 70% efficiency)

This should be somewhat close to what you have. I am not too familiar with amber LME.
Adjust the hops to account for the full boil.

Others may add their ideas too.

Thanks!!:mug: I'll give it a try once I get up and running with AG and let you know how it turns out.

Thinking about it you might be able to kick out the 20L crystal, might not make a huge difference but you don't want it to end up too sweet.

What style are you looking for?

Back