Noob Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BllShter

Reaction score
I've been trying to make some Agave nectar wine, several batches of beer under my belt but never a wine, mead or cider. This batch seemed to have gotten stuck/never got started. Racked it off junk yeast re-pitched, and seeing some activity but og was 1070, down to 1062 but its been about three weeks. Is this stuff fermenting or did it just sputter to a start and stop again, airlock has consistent activity, a bubble every minute to a minute and a half? Any idea what I have here, normal fermentation or junk batch. 6 gallon batch been between 60-68 degrees the whole time, 4 packages of red star total, 2 and 2?

Thanks in advance

Check the yeast, many wine yeast like it warmer. Are you sure the yeast were good or pitched correctly? If your water is weakly buffered, pH in non-grape wine can fall under 3, which will stop the yeast or make them very slow. If you can check the pH, you can adjust with chalk or potassium carbonate.

I'm making a gal of that right now (hydrating yeast as I type)! I second the question about yeast nutrients. There isn't much in filtered agave for them to live off of (unlike with beer, or grape wine).
If you did add yeast nutes, then the pH question is important. Yeast can take very low pH levels, but it slows them down a lot. My wine making method is to forget about things for a few months... that works well for me 30% of the time. When I pay attentions to things they almost always get infected.

I make wine from what ever happens to be around or is free. So very low success rates are fine by me. I am by no means an expert, and I learn something new with every failure. I rarely learn anything from success.

I make wine from what ever happens to be around or is free. So very low success rates are fine by me. I am by no means an expert, and I learn something new with every failure. I rarely learn anything from success.

Ahhh...it all makes sense now. It's just funny how you worded it...try it this way and it works for me 30% of the time. HAHA!

Happy homebrewing! :mug:

I did hit it with a few tsp's each of yeast energizer, and yeast nutrient, I've since run out of the stuff but it's ingredients included ammonium something or other, we used filtered well water so I presume it's pretty soft. My main concern is, if left will it ferment out to something respectable, even if only 5-7%, I could always force carbonate and put on draft, was just expecting a different type of beverage. Thanks again all.

Back