Rauchbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheffriz

Reaction score
This is an upcoming brew i am planning on doing in May.
Looking for input on this recipe.

As i understand it Hops will conflict with the smoke flavor so i am minimizing it to 1 addition. I am guessing as to my efficiency, as that i have not brewed a partial mash yet, the beer i am brewing prior to this one will be a partial mash and i will have more data to work with then. I have erred on on the side of caution.

Recipe: Rauchbier
Style: Oktoberfest/Marzen
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 10.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Briess CBW Pilsen DME (2.5 SRM) Dry Extract 10.98 %
3.30 lb Briess CBW Munich LME (10.0 SRM) Extract 36.22 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 32.93 %
1.75 lb Smoked Malt (5.0 SRM) Grain 19.21 %
0.06 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.66 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (90 min)Hops 23.3 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Poland Spring (R) Water
1 Pkgs Octoberfest/Marzen Lager (White Labs #WLP8Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.81 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 6.01 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

What type of smoked malt? If cherry or beechwood (rauch), you might want to increase it. If Peat, you have way too much.

careful with your efficiency - i'm like you, i assume the worst, but 60% is super low. you can hit that just steeping grains. make sure you measure your pre-boil gravity (and post obviously) and adjust at the end because i'd bet money you'll get a higher efficiency than what you're predicting. the worst case scenario is you get more beer.

i did a special b experiment the other day after work and just partially steeped grains (i mashed in/out) but only by burner control and not strike water temps and hit 65% which i thought was pretty good for a lazy brew.

How will the hops conflict? you have the proper amount of bittering hops based on what I read in classic styles.

Using Briess Smoked Malt which is Cherry wood smoked, I can reverse the Pale malt and Smoked Malt amounts.

According to Briess; "10-20% - Pronounced smoke character in lighter styles like Scottish Ales and Oktoberfests"

I would like to get close to the bamberg Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer , which i know uses 100% smoked malt. I know i cant get there with a Partial mash. But i would like to get as close as possible.

Regarding the Hops, From what i understand with Rauchbier Flavor and Aroma hops are not a pleasant contrast with the Smoke Flavor. Hence the single boil addition. If there is a good balance hops/smoke, i would like to know

Back