beer is done fermenting, not enough time to bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangeross

Reaction score
I've brewed up an imperial IPA, according to the recipe the beer would be ready for bottling 10 days after dry hopping, which would be Monday.

I don't have a whole lot of time this week to bottle, so I have a few questions.
It's currently in a 6.5 Gallon glass carboy.

1) Would letting it sit in that carboy help or hurt the beer or not matter at all?
2) If I chose to let it sit in a carboy for a bit longer, should I transfer into a different carboy?

Thanks in advance for any help, this is my second batch, and I hope there will be many many more.

-Ross

Sitting on the hops will allow the beer to extract more hop aroma (to a point), possibly overdoing it. Long than that and you can start to get an odd vegital flavor.

Transferring it off the dry hops to a clean sanitized carboy will help avoid this, but as soon as you do that you're going to start losing the aroma you were dry hopping to get.

Kind of 6 of one half dozen of the other situation.

Or you can just bottle it, even if you have to stay up late to do it. Which is more important, sleep or beer? ;)

Have you dry hopped it yet? You didn't specify, but just saying that it is done fermenting would lead me to believe you are about to rack to secondary. In which case my vote would be to just rack to secondary, and wait to add the hops until you will be able to get the beer bottled within 10 days of adding the hops.

Though if it is already on the hops, I'd say just figure out a way to bottle it. I usually only dry hop for 5-7 days, so if you have time a few days earlier, you could always bottle it up without leaving it on the hops for a full 10 days too.

I may have to just bottle it up a day early. I'm a bit torn because a part for my Vespa is coming in Monday. I have to get that guy on the bike ASAP.

Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back