Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minduim

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to brew a porter soon, and I wanted some opinion on the following recipe:

19 litre batch
2 kg pilsner malt
2 kg munich malt
0,25 kg biscuit malt
0,25 kg coffee malt
0,25 kg chocolate malt
0,1 kg caraaroma (crystal 120L)

35 grams willamette at 90'
10 grams willamette at 15'

Nottingham yeast to ferment at 17 C

All malts are from Castle Malting, except for the caraaroma that is from Wyermann.

I'm not into following strict style as long as it tastes good :)

What are your ideas on this recipe?

Thanks in advance

Check some of the recipes on this site for comparison. Not sure I have seen Munich or Biscuit used in a porter, not to say that you couldn't. I usually have some black patent malt in mine as well. I not on metric so I can't comment on the amounts without doing all the conversions. Anyway, check the recipes here for comparison.

Thanks for the replies.

Coffee malt is supposed to be 189 SRM/Lovibond.

I'm thinking about adding a small about of carafa III, maybe something like 100 grams. Will it impart an overpowering roasted flavor? I want something more towards the coffee/cocoa aroma.

Looks pretty tasty. It will definitely be malty. That much Munich combined with Biscuit will make for a very malt-forward Porter. I'd omit the Biscuit.

My calculator shows OG 1.059 and IBU 29. That's on the high side for Robust Porter, but still within style.

I say brew it as written and take careful tasting notes. I strongly suspect you'll brew this again after cutting back the ingredients that make it malt-forward.

Good luck!

Bob

I like the recipe overall, but I'd also say skip the biscuit this time around. See how it tastes without it, and then decide if you want to add it for the next go 'round.

Thanks for the tips, I'll brew this one and see how it turns out. Than I'll fine tune it on the next batch :)

Back