March Pump Head Orientation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley03

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I am in the process of putting together my single tier HERMS system and am now mounting the March pumps. The question I have is there a rule or optimal position on which way the pump heads should be orientated?

What I want to do is keep the pumps close together on the lower level and cover them with some type of shield. If I leave the pump heads horizontal the pumps tend to be to far apart to cover with one shield due to clearence needed for the fittings.

Anyway let me know if there is a hard fast rule which says I need to mount the inlet and out horizontal or can they be verticle. Also would there be any priming issues with either orientation?
Thanks

You can also remove the heads and mount the pumps however you want, then reattach the pump head. Since it's magnetically coupled, it mounts fairly easy.

Mine is oriented In-up, out-down. I do not use a bleeder valve or other quick fix and I have never had an issue with prime.

Air will always seek the highest point, water the lowest.

As long as the vessel you are pumping from is higher then the pump it will have no issues. All you have to do is open the valve on what you are pumping from and if applicable the one you are pumping to, wait 5 seconds and turn on the pump.

Well right now I guess I am leaning towards mounting the the inlet and outlet in a verticle position. I searched the March pump website and could not find anything on there that says I can't.

I want to keep them fairly close because I want to incorporate a shield that will cover the pumps and protect them from moisture dirt etc. Also it seems like it would be eaiser to prime in that position, but what do I know this is my first time using pumps!

Anyway I guess I will proceed with mounting them and see how it goes.

On the systems I build I mount the inlet in the up position. I build an air chamber so air can be bleed off. Also I like the fact of using what is called static pressure to pump head. Volume + height = static pressure. Air will rise and the chamber gives it a place to go.

Mvc-588s.jpg

I also add a dump valve that will dump any liquid in the line when done brewing

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

Mine is mounted LEFT-RIGHT, takes about 5 seconds to prime! I think the "orientation" thing is overrated. Everyone thinks thier way is the best way... I think they are all about equal. I think that HOW you prime it matters much more than how it is oriented. Tune in to my show, I will show you.

BrewBeastv2_1_1.jpg

I think the "orientation" thing is overrated. Everyone thinks thier way is the best way... I think they are all about equal. I think that HOW you prime it matters much more than how it is oriented. Tune in to my show, I will show you.

i agree. this is how mine is oriented:

IMG_0498.JPG

i've never had a problem achieving or maintaining pump flow. what i do is preheat water in the HLT, transfer over what i need, recirc in the MLT until the water hits the calculated strike temp, add grain, then start the pump up again.

p.d.

Back