extract/AG yeng/yang

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Got a question, I just read the poll on the extract VS. AG thing. There are more extract and extract with partial grain brewers on this site than AG. However the AG boys and girls are pretty adament about the quality of the beer. I have a batch, my first, fermenting right now, and was wondering....is there no such thing as a good extract? I know beer is not beer, but if I don't go to AG, will my perception of beer be limited and when I go to the Blue Corn Cafe in Santa Fe this ski season or the Hilton Head Island Brewery in South Carolina, will I ask myself "what in the hell have I been drinking?" I had always thought that, even though I knew a homebrew might not taste as great as a microbrew (amature versus professionals) it would at least be close and a hell of a lot better than that store bought crap. Then reading more into AG brewing, with my schedule and a three year old, it will be a LONG time before I can get away with dedicating a whole day to brewing. I guess I'm just asking, extract brews are still good brews, maybe not the best, but at least 100% better than the big 3 (Miller, Bud and Coors).

I am new to brewing (actually only have brewed a mead) and I have heard of ALOT of people winning awards with there extract recipes. I would guess a homebrew would taste as great as a microbrew.

If it's easier for you... just brew extract :)

Look at it this way...

The best AG is probably going to be better than the best Extract, but there is PLENTY of overlap. Some extract beers are great and some AG beers suck.

Being that Extract is easier, you're chances of brewing good or even great beer as a beginner are GREATLY increased. It's also a big time saver.

Sounds like it's a good fit for you right now and you WILL produce some GREAT tasting beer

I KNOW people that routinely win awards with extract and people who make bearly drinkable AG ales. Quality ingredients and attention to detail are far more important than grain vs extract.

Too many AG'rs believe homebrewing is a religion.

Back