Sugar to Gallon ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
I have a question regarding priming sugar.

I have some batches fermenting now and I don't think any of them are exactly 5 gallons. I'd say most are around 4.5 Gallons or a little less.. I am assuming the ratio is 1 oz. of sugar per gallon of beer, is that correct?

When I am going to prime the beer and bottle it, should I still add the 5 oz. of priming sugar or should I take a little bit out? Also, will this little bit of extra sugar cause too much carbonation?

Thanks in advance. I just don't want to over-carb my babies.

The Dunkelweizen is probably around 4.5 Gal and a Sam Adams Summer Ale Clone is about 4.5 Gal as well.

What style of beer is it?Not all styles are carbed at the same rate.

That's true, but I always carbed my beers to about the same volume of co2. I think that the 1 ounce per gallon (by weight) seems to work pretty well for most styles. If anything, I used a bit less than 1 ounce per gallon for the majority of my beers. If you have less than 5 gallons, you may want to reduce the priming sugar slightly but no harm will come if you don't.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen! I'll probably just leave a smidge of sugar out when it comes to priming for the 2 batches.

Back