Beers around (half of) the world...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On my recent trip, I was excited to try as many new beers as possible. Turns out the rest of the world doesn't really have microbrew fever. Here's the short list of beers I got to try:

Cruzcampo (brewed in Spain, drank in Spain): Known locally by English-speakers as "Cruz-Crappo." It's terrible. Think Natural Light with a hint of acetobacter. Still, it was different, so I got drunk on it. After 6, they start to taste ok.

beergeek_1963_7521256

Tiger (brewed in Singapore, drank in UAE): BMC with a nice, international looking label. Nothing special.

entry_bottle.jpg

Singha (brewed in Thailand, drank in UAE): I've had this one before. It's not bad. Definitely an Asian brew with plenty of rice. The flavor is light and a little spicy - the spice notes mostly due to the slightly high ABV of 6.0%, but there are some hop notes present. The best of the bad beers on this trip.

Singha.jpg

Guinness (brewed someplace, drank in London's Gatwick airport): I already posted about this one elsewhere. It was my first and only pint of beer in the UK. It tasted like every other Guinness I've ever had. Decent beer, but there was nothing special about Guinness in the UK.

Surprisingly enough, those were the only somewhat unique beers I got to try. Otherwise, the selection was largely Beck's, Heineken, and Bud. I stuck to scotch or Jack Daniel's for the most part.

The trend to new micro/craft breweries is definitely an USA thing. Much of Europe, the number of small local breweries is dropping.

orfy said:
Next time you're over here I'll try and show you some good beer.
SERIOUSLY thinking of heading to Ireland for next year's vacation. Main reason: the beer, of course! Pub crawl my way though the place! :ban:

If you have drinked cruzcampo is probably because you have been in the south of Spain, there is a much better beer there, Alhambra in Granada, try it next time.
There is nothing like microbrew in Spain, just a few little brewers in Catalonia, but is really difficult to find their beer even for the spaniards.

Back