Lager Time: Draconian Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Draconian Libations': Draconian Helles
6.50 Gallons
75% Efficiency
90 Minute Boil
90 Minute Mash @ 150F (4.0 Gal Strike)

1.049 OG
1.009 FG
20 IBU
3.8 SRM
5.3% ABV

07 lbs 08 oz - Weyermann Pilsner (63.8%)
03 lbs 00 oz - Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt (25.5%)
00 lbs 10 oz - Weyermann Munich Type II (5.3%)
00 lbs 10 oz - Briess Carapils (5.3%)

0.450 Oz - Magnum (13.5%AA) - 60 Mins
0.250 Oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker (2.90%AA) - 30 Mins

White Labs WLP830 - German Lager (2 vials in 1300ml starter on plate)

Looks good, but why not just use all German pilz instead of splitting it with some two row? If it's a German helles you can't go wrong with mostly German pilz.

I don't disagree with you. The reason I'm looking at some 2-row is too bring a little extra complexity to a style that isn't necessarily too complex. There are several American versions of Helles that use no Pilsner malt and are highly rated. My intent is to cut the malt intensity of just straight Pilsner, but not by much. I don't think it's necessary or anything...just my own touch.

Ingredients ordered! I'm stoked to brew a few lagers again as it's been a while. I did alter the recipe slightly.

75% Weyermann Pils
15% Briess 2-Row
7.5% Weyermann Munich Type II
2.5% Weyermann Cara Foam

Also using a combo of Magnum and Spalter at 60 minutes (no other additions)

...also looking to brew a German Pils, a Honey Lager, and an Americsn Premium in the coming months.

Brewed. Perfect brew day. Was high 2 pts. It hit 1.047 with a target of 1.045. I love when brew days are flawless!

...and we're off!

image-635586268.jpg

If any beginner lager brewers are reading this post...I simply cannot impress upon you how VITAL it is to have a temp controller to do lagers. I tinkered with lagers last year using only a refrigerator and its factory thermostat. The beers turned out decent, but not quite as they should be due to pretty wild temp flucuations. Well, this one was locked in tight. I pitched at 44F, and the next morning went ahead and bumped the setting to 50F. I saw signs of fermentation in 12 hours and it took off. Seeing as how the beer is in the fridge with no chance of ant of critters getting in, I put my temp probe into the beer and only covered with foil...no airlock. This morning I took a gravity sample and it went from 1.047 to 1.010 in 7 days. There isn't a single, solitary speck of an off flavor and even with the yeast in suspension, it tastes phenomenal. Hopefully, the yeast will fall out by the weekend and I will crank it down to the high 30's and let it sit for a few weeks. Making lagers is tough and requires patience...but when you have the proper equipment and you reach a level that you are comfortable with regarding brewing ultra clean wort...it is well worth the time and money to learn the skill.

If you are looking for a Munich Helles recipe...brew this. I fermented at 50F for 2 weeks, dropped 3 degrees per day for 4 days to a lagering temp of 38F where it's been for 2 weeks. I'm going to go ahead and bottle this weekend (2 week ferm-3 week lager.) I pulled a sample this morning to make certain there are no off flavors. I would enter this into NHC and expect to make the finals. It's that good. The only hiccup was that I mashed at 148F and it dried it out to 1.006. No matter, the Pils malt and touch of Carapils leaves this ever so faint hint of sweetness behind a crisp and wonderful malt showcase. This beer will no doubt vanish in record time. I can't say enough about how well it turned out. WLP833 is a divine strain. I might not ever use another lager strain.

So did you use WLP833 or 830 as your recipe said? Definitely looks good, might have to give it a shot next. I'm currently hashing out some plans for my own helles which has a slightly different grain bill, but I've been debating with the hops using either all tradition or mixing magnum and tradition, so it could be similar depending. Glad to hear it turned out well, got any pics?

worstbrewing said:
So did you use WLP833 or 830 as your recipe said? Definitely looks good, might have to give it a shot next. I'm currently hashing out some plans for my own helles which has a slightly different grain bill, but I've been debating with the hops using either all tradition or mixing magnum and tradition, so it could be similar depending. Glad to hear it turned out well, got any pics?

I went with 833. Pitched at 44F and reset my controller for 50F 12 hours later. I learned that mashing at 148 wasn't necessary. Then again, it's so crisp at 1.006 but yet has that slight touch of malty sweetness so I doubt I'd do it differently next time. I'll get some pics up.

I panicked! I bottled this beer last Thursday and 3 days later, I discovered that this heat wave has my basement at 83F! I quickly moved the bottles into my ferm fridge and set the control for 60. I chilled one bottle down to check for side effects. It tasted a bit strange. Today I opened a bottle and it's perfectly carbed and tastes great. I can't wait to see what it's like in a few weeks. (no off flavors from 3 days at 80)

I know it's still a bit early, but any tasting notes so far? Any particular Helles it reminds you of? I've been throwing around some ideas for a good Helles lately and have been following this thread anxiously to see how it turns out :mug:

worstbrewing said:
I know it's still a bit early, but any tasting notes so far? Any particular Helles it reminds you of? I've been throwing around some ideas for a good Helles lately and have been following this thread anxiously to see how it turns out :mug:

It wasn't designed with any particular commercial example in mind. That said, and being a bit early, it starts off with a real nice sweetish pilsner malt - grainy flavor and finishes with a super crisp grainy flavor. I think the 2-row and Munich just punches through at the very end. I'm glad I used the carapils because mashing at 1.048 was too low and the beer dried out to around 1.006. However, I'm sort of glad it did because it isn't too thin and it lends a slight sweetness despite the dryness. I can't wait to taste it after a month in the bottle. I think a "true blue" Munich Helles would have a touch more sweetness and a touch more mouthfeel (by not finishing at 1.006 - probably should be more like 1.010-1.012). That said, it's noticeably a Helles but with some of the better elements of an American Premium. I'm tempted to actually call it an American Helles.

Yeah, that was the impression I got, just wasn't sure if it turned out close to anything you've had, for comparison. However, I rather enjoy when it doesn't, especially when it sort of creates a style of its own. I've been going back and forth on carapils in mine, so that's definitely good to note, I'll probably end up mashing a little higher than I was planning too, but we'll see. Definitely glad to hear it turned out well! I'll be sure to post some updates once I get around to brewing mine (it's just been too damn hot to want to be outside with this heat wave lately, can't wait for things to cool down next week!). American Helles sounds pretty appropriate too, I dig it! :rockin:

Just noticed that you are in Philadelphia. Cool stuff, you're practically a local for me...lol. I have a Golden Strong ready to brew but I can take this heat! Regarding mash temp, 833 is a pretty tenacious attenuator for a lager strain and if I was going to do this again in trying for a "more authentic" German mouthfeel...I think Id give 154 a shot. I'd venture a guess that the Carapils would be unnecessary if you do try 154. If you want to go dry like mine...Id definitely use it. Definitely keep me posted, Id love to know how it goes. I think my next lager will be a Maibock. After that, possibly a fruit or honey lager.

haha yeah, I noticed you are from Harrisburg after browsing your blog actually. I used to live in York before here, so back when Troeg's was still in Harrisburg I used to be down there virtually every weekend haha.. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep you posted, though I suppose it'll be a few months before I have a real good taste-test, but we'll see! Kind of poor planning on my part, as I've been in the mood for a Helles lately but keep realizing it won't be ready until I'm ready for an Oktoberfest, so guess what I'm making next? haha I'll definitely keep you posted, looking forward to how all of yours turn out too. Cheers!

My Oktoberfest wasn't good last year...of course, it was the first lager that I had ever tried to brew AND i didn't have good temp control on my ferm fridge. Looks like I might have to give another one a shot.

Here she is. It looks more orange in the photo than it is...in fact, it's not orange at all. It has a lovely straw to light golden color. I need to find a way for these photos to turn out better.

image-3682151678.jpg

Beautiful! Looks like the heat is finally breaking this week so if I can find the time, hopefully I'll be giving this a shot. Not sure if you have any thoughts, but I'm debating upping the hops to closer to 30 IBUs (more like a Dortmunder than a Helles), not sure if you think that would throw things out of whack or not. Cheers!

worstbrewing said:
Beautiful! Looks like the heat is finally breaking this week so if I can find the time, hopefully I'll be giving this a shot. Not sure if you have any thoughts, but I'm debating upping the hops to closer to 30 IBUs (more like a Dortmunder than a Helles), not sure if you think that would throw things out of whack or not. Cheers!

I'm wanting to brew a Dort now. The hop load in this Helles is barely noticeable...it is definitely a malt showcase. I think one would have to have a remarkable palate to pick them out.

Yeah, I enjoy both Helles and Dortmunders for slightly different reasons, but ultimately I've determined what I'm looking for is something more in line with a Dort, so we'll see. It's not like I haven't had time to determine what I want to do haha but yeah, I have plenty of both hops and figured I'd push it a little further to see how it turns out. I may end up tweaking the grains a bit depending, but we'll see, looks like it should make a good Dort with just tweaking the hops.

This beer is quite excellent with some age on it. You know how authentic German lagers have that slightly oxidized sweetness/flavor? That is what this beer needed to taste like a real German brew. Im down to around half a case left. I wish I would have saved it. Theyve been cold in the fridge since carbing and have become just excellent.

Back