Root Beer Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shatt

Reaction score
Hi. I'm wanting to make some root beer for my wife so she'll get off my arse about the money I spend on brewing beer. This weekend I tried the Rainbow brand Root Beer extract... yuck. It tastes like the root beer barrel candies. Too rooty or something. Are there any extracts out there that taste more like A & W or IBC? Those are her favorites. I've heard that a lot of people like Sprechers. What is it like?

Gnome root beer extract is decent, has a bit more vanilla in it than I like, but if your wife likes A&W then I'd think she'd like the extract from Gnome.

FWIW, if you are going to use yeast to carb it, the root beer will definitely have some yeast bite, which IMO adds a unique flavor, but if you are kegging, I say get some carbonator caps, this way if your wife doesn't care for the yeasty flavor she won't leve it all for you to drink.

Homebrew is very good you can mix half Birch Root Beer and Half Root Beer if you want it a little on the sweet side. mix it to taste is always best.

I have used the Gnome and I add......

--honey for 1/3 of the sugar
--1 T. of molasses for 1 1/4 gallon of soda
--3/4 vanilla bean or 2-3 t. of vanilla extract for 1 1/4 gallon
--Malto dextine to give it more body.

This turns out very well. It is a stronger than A&W. I don't overcarbonate because I don't like it when it gets too fizzy.

--Doug

I have used the Gnome and I add......

--honey for 1/3 of the sugar
--1 T. of molasses for 1 1/4 gallon of soda
--3/4 vanilla bean or 2-3 t. of vanilla extract for 1 1/4 gallon
--Malto dextine to give it more body.

This turns out very well. It is a stronger than A&W. I don't overcarbonate because I don't like it when it gets too fizzy.

--Doug

To add to my earlier post, I use all Turbinado (Sugar in the Raw) sugar when I make it. and I use the whole package for 5 gallons.

i've used gnome and zatarains extracts, both are pretty good. the zatarains has more licorice/anise flavor, gnome tends to be much smoother.

FWIW, I actually stopped by my LHBS this afternoon, and they were out of the Gnome root beer extract, so I went to Wally world, bought a bottle of rootbeer concentrate, some sugar and vanilla bean, I'm going to see how it works out.

How did your Wally world root beer turn out? I've always wondered, but never had the guts.

I use homebrew brand, half-birch, half rootbeer, and I add 4 vanilla beans soaked in 1/2 cup of rum, and I think it adds a great deal of flavor. The alcohol is still low enough that it still has a soft-drink taste.

I did the Wally World deal. Actually, it's just McCormick's - not Wally World specific.

I used 3 tablespoons McCormick's root beer extract. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. 2 1/2 cups cane sugar (too much sugar, should have used 2 cups). 1/8 teaspoon Ale yeast. One gallon water.

It tastes okay. Too much sugar (my fault), and not enough foam. Next time I try it, I'll either use brown sugar or add a little molasses.

I should have read this post before shopping. I went out and picked up Rainbow rootbeer extract from a local shop. Wanted to try something different. At seven bucks a bottle, I'm going to use it.

I got a bunch of concentrates from Prairie Moon, including their Sarsaparilla and Root Beer concentrates. I like them both though I use sugar substitute vs real sugar. As cheap as they are they are worth a shot anyway. Oh if you do order something use the code Save5 it is 5% off.

If it's so old it's dried out, why do you want to reconstitute it? I'd play it safe and just throw it away or buy some fresh extract.

Not trying to hijack the threat but im in the same boat as the op. I looked at the gnome extract and I like what I saw, but what wine yeast would I want with it to make an IBC clone?

How did your Wally world root beer turn out? I've always wondered, but never had the guts.

I use homebrew brand, half-birch, half rootbeer, and I add 4 vanilla beans soaked in 1/2 cup of rum, and I think it adds a great deal of flavor. The alcohol is still low enough that it still has a soft-drink taste.

Sorry for the super late bump, but I am gonna make 2 gallons with my wally world extract today as a matter of fact.

And it is Wally-world brand, unless McCormick makes it for them.

I have some vanilla beans, and Turbinado sugar. I was thinking of using some dark brown sugar in conjunction with the turbinado, how much vanilla bean should I use for 2 gallons 1/2 a bean, I don' tlike my root beer super vanilla-like. I prefer Mug to A&W because A&W has too much vanilla flavor.

Back