Stupid Noob Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
Man I feel stupid just for asking this...Ok, made an ESB got everything cooled and in the primary bucket, added water to top off to five gallons, added the liquid yeast, got the lid on, airlock on, put it in a warm spot and I'm off. Forgot the hydrometer reading. The recipe says to put it into a secondary in seven days. Can I do this..take the hydrometer reading when I put it in the secondary and compare that before I bottle or do I need to open it now (it's been two days) and take a hydrometer reading? I hate to open things now, sanitation and all that. If I do at the secondary and the bottling what am I looking for?

Any suggestions...razzing?

Thanks,
Andy

Wait seven days. For those doing secondaries, the very loose concept is 1-2-3 (1 week in primary, 2 in secondary and 3 in bottles). Take your reading three consecutive days after the first week and if the number has not changed, rack to secondary.

Wait seven days. For those doing secondaries, the very loose concept is 1-2-3 (1 week in primary, 2 in secondary and 3 in bottles). Take your reading three consecutive days after the first week and if the number has not changed, rack to secondary.

Even better... Leave it in primary for 14 days. Can't hurt anything.

Still, take hydrometer readings. You should be able to tell that it is near where the FG should be, so it never can hurt to make sure everything has stabilized.

Even better... Leave it in primary for 14 days. Can't hurt anything.

+1

Let it sit for 10-14 days. After it's totally finished fermenting and hasn't had any activity in 1-2 days, move to a secondary, if you use a secondary. If you want to take a hydrometer reading to see how low it got, you can. Personally, I'd let it go and try to remember on the next batch.

You say you topped off so I'm assuming you have an extract brew, therefore the OG isn't really as important because it's pretty tough to miss it by much because all the fermentable sugars are in your extract. Your FG is more important from the standpoint of knowing when your beer is done. I still do an extract every now and again and I'll take a OG if I don't have to walk too far to get my hydrometer, otherwise I don't even bother. Live and learn

Back