advise needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amasterjedi

Reaction score
Hello 8 days ago we pressed our 1st batch of cider produceing 100 litres in 4 separate 25lt fermenting bins. we wanted to take the organic route so no tablets or yeast was added, All seemed to start well, after 4 days froth formed on top, but no bubbles in the bubbler . Then for some reason (maybe temprature to low) froth disappeared and then re-appeared 1 day later. It has been following this pattern since, but still with no bubbles in the bubbler, in 1 of the bins the smell started to become a little vinagery but then changed to a sweet smell as the froth re-appeared, this is the only bin i have opened to investigate. Can anyone help with advice or am i just being a little to impatient? Afterall slow fermenting is supposed to make better cider?

Many thanks

The outside temps have ranged from 4 degrees C at night to 14 degrees C during the day, its being kept in a garage so add 3 or 4 degrees to each temp, funny enough i have taken one inside tonight where the temp is 18 degrees C and within 30 minutes it started to bubble like mad so the temp must be the answer, taking into account this was pressed on the 18th 0ct do you think i have caused any problems? Thanks for your Quick reply, Wayne

If it was cold enough you should be ok. You really wont know until it has more time to ferment. If it got infected you will know in a week or so.

10 degrees Celsius swings is a lot, and 14 degrees C is pretty cold for active fermentation. Anyway you can bring the temp up and hold it there in the garage?

Thanks for advice people, lapaglia you have said about infections, what should i look out for and what are the cures if any?

Back