I got cloudy beer!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul23

Reaction score
I racked this beer to secondary and was a little surprised by what i saw. Its my first batch that is cloudy. Im thinking it may be due to my ingredients. I use the same procedure every time I brew.

All grain brewed 2/6 number 8 recipe from northern brewer. (Bought ingredients elsewhere)

10 lbs pilsner
1.5 lbs caramunich
Mashed for 60 min at 152
Fly sparged 60 min at 170
1 oz magnum 60 min
Last 15min of boil add 2 lbs brown sugar and 1 lb corn sugar.
2 stage 1 L starter w/wyeast 1762 belgian abbey

OG 1.090 FG 1.017

The beer looked like a yeast starter.... very light and milky looking. I can post a pic if it helps. On the other hand, despite what it looked like I tried my hydrometer sample and it tasted good. Not sweet or boozy.

And I took a fg reading today and 2 days ago and its the same. It looks like I shook it up during active fermentation but it was done and I didnt shake it.

Sooo is this normal for the ingredients?

Thanks.

Any time I have racked to secondary my brews have all been cloudy. They cleared up nicely though.

I just racked one today. 2 weeks since pitching yeast. Very cloudy. I have no problems. I expect it will be clear when I bottle in a few weeks.

Too early to worry. My kegged beers after 3 weeks primary and a week dryhop are cloudy for a few days. Maybe not yeast starter cloudy, but with that yeast, it may take longer to clear.

Thanks im gonna give it time. I have many brews done and never seen one like this. I mean it looks like a Duncan donuts coffee regular..... lol

lespaul23 said:
Thanks im gonna give it time. I have many brews done and never seen one like this. I mean it looks like a Duncan donuts coffee regular..... lol

Worst case you can put the carboy somewhere cold for a few weeks once it gets to where you want it. Cold crashing usually gets the yeast out.

Yeah I just dont know if its yeast or if its from the ingredients. Never used brown sugar and corn sugar, and never had cloudy beer, so im just curious if anyone has made this recipe or used theese ingredients before.

Belgian yeasts tend to be lower flocculating strains (haven't used 1762, Wyeast lists it as medium flocculation, but that's my experience with other Belgian strains). Just give it longer.

I've always lagered my stronger Belgian beers. It helps to smooth out the flavors associated with the higher fermentation temps during primary. My beers are always brilliantly clear after this.

Back