ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stoneBriar said:
I tried to google a bit, but I can't seem to find something like this in a 110-115v in that price range. Any links? Thanks!

Yeah sorry I can't find a 110v version. I assumed there would be one on eBay.

Doomsday said:
Anyone just use the female end of the extension cord for the heat outlet?

You can do that. It's just a little neater and safer to have it in a box. It will still work just as well though. Cheaper too.

I plan on doing that for now. My garage stays around 55 degrees so I wont be cooling, just heating my carboy inside a dead minifridge.

Looks good. I've got two of them on the way, one for my keezer build, and one for a second fermentation fridge I recently picked up.
11.jpg

My build in progress.
I decided to put in a breaker for the supply, and a contactor for the cooling side. I don't know if I trust the cooling relay with the starting current of our 50yo fridge.

I have also put in illuminated switches for supply, cooling and heating. Just because.

image-2983606378.jpg

image-2990881357.jpg

image-269709399.jpg

I have a question for you guys. I want to use this controller to control an upright freezer converted to a kegerator. Is there anything I need to look into as far as timers go? I believe most freezer compressors have a cycle timer. Will this controller interfere with this cycle timer? Is there any special wiring that I made need to consider? I believe I read somewhere that this controller has a built in delay to account for these cycle timers. Is this correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Cheers!

modobrew said:
I have a question for you guys. I want to use this controller to control an upright freezer converted to a kegerator. Is there anything I need to look into as far as timers go? I believe most freezer compressors have a cycle timer. Will this controller interfere with this cycle timer? Is there any special wiring that I made need to consider? I believe I read somewhere that this controller has a built in delay to account for these cycle timers. Is this correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Cheers!

If there is a built in compressor delay on your freezer I would just leave it be. There is nothing special wiring you have to worry about. The controller does have a built in delay that you can program. Most people max out the timer to ensure the compressor doesn't cycle often.

i just wired mine just like the following and regardless of cool/heat both outlets give power? can't figure out what the issue is

STC-1000_outlet_wiring.jpg

Wow. Ok...
I stopped by the hardware store to buy wire for wiring up my tripple controller. I asked the young lady helping me to cut 20' each of the stranded 14 ga wire in black, red, white, and green. I was thinking I would have plenty to do that I need with 20'... She said she didnt remember how to use the spooling/measuring machine but would just measure and cut it for me and have it up front waiting for me at checkout. I get home and take them out to put them up, and needed to recoil them into a neater coil. Turns out she cut me around 60' of each! I only got charged for 20' each though.

I bet she measured 20 meters. What a ditz.

Has anyone done a wiring diagram for the single stage F controller. I'm confused by the 7 ports on it? I'm not the most knowledgeable with electrical wiring.
I was going to do one outlet always on and one controlling my kegerator.

my temp controller come in the mail today! woot!

alot smaller then i expected hahah but shes all good i tested it and its all sweet however i have a few queries!

i was playing with the temp controller and it worked fine i turned it off by the power on the stc1000 and left it plugged in, i then turned it back on and my temp was set at 17deg and but the temp was at 34c in my room the cooling would not switch on until the temperature cooled down and got within 10 degrees or so of the set temp, is this just the compressor delay stopping it?

here she is anyway
2013-01-17_2208521.jpg

Has anyone done a wiring diagram for the single stage F controller. I'm confused by the 7 ports on it? I'm not the most knowledgeable with electrical wiring.
I was going to do one outlet always on and one controlling my kegerator.

My singe stage versions of the STC-1000 have 8 terminals, Can you show or tell us what how the terminals are labeled on yours? Here's the wiring diagram for the 8 terminal single stage unit-

5712-5118.jpg

If there is a built in compressor delay on your freezer I would just leave it be. There is nothing special wiring you have to worry about. The controller does have a built in delay that you can program. Most people max out the timer to ensure the compressor doesn't cycle often.

I just want to add a little clarity to modobrew's question after talking with him. I'm not sure if his freezer has a built in delay or not but REGARDLESS, if he relies on simply plugging the freezer into the temperature controller you effectively bypass any defrosting/evaporation cycle (because this occurs while not cooling)... not to mention a light if the controller isn't in the cooling cycle when you want to open the door.

It seems to me that in order for all systems to work properly you'd want to direct wire the compressor to the temperature controller, disconnect the freezers built in compressor delay, and rely on the temperature controller's compressor delay. All of this would not be difficult as long as there was easy access to the bottom/back of the freezer.

Admittedly I have not gone through every page, but is there a shopping list of items to complete the project? I haven't done any wiring in the past, but it looks easy enough if I had all the right wires. I have the controller already, and wanted to do the simple 1 plug hot 1 plug cold setup.

Just passing this along. This PDF really helped me in my build. The parts #s are all good as well.

http://nordeastbrewersalliance.file...age_temp_controller_creation_instructions.pdf

Admittedly I have not gone through every page, but is there a shopping list of items to complete the project? I haven't done any wiring in the past, but it looks easy enough if I had all the right wires. I have the controller already, and wanted to do the simple 1 plug hot 1 plug cold setup.

That one should be a good starting point.

Wow a HUGE but helpful thread, Thank You! Finally finish my STC-1000 build last this morning. 1 receptical Always On and the other setup Heat/Cooling (broke tab). Working great! Here are a few pics:
Robert

20130117_000004210.jpg

20130118_000004222.jpg

20130118_000004216.jpg

20130118_000004224.jpg

20130118_000004226.jpg

coinhall09 said:
Quick ? What gauge wire should I get ? Some one said no less than 12 gauge ?

revansCAAD8 said:
I would say no less (smaller) than 14 gauge but I used 12/3 in my build.

Robert

Those sounds right. I did the math a while back. I think 16 gauge would technically work but it is right on the line. 14 is good. 12 is better but only really great if you get a good price on it. 10 or larger might not even fit in the terminal clamps.

JuanMoore said:
My singe stage versions of the STC-1000 have 8 terminals, Can you show or tell us what how the terminals are labeled on yours? Here's the wiring diagram for the 8 terminal single stage unit-

Shoot. I missed this. I will when I get home. One of the temp probe terminals is shared with the other one. I assume I leave it, but am unsure. I can't find a good picture of it online.

Shoot. I missed this. I will when I get home. One of the temp probe terminals is shared with the other one. I assume I leave it, but am unsure. I can't find a good picture of it online.

I think I remember that one. It's just a single terminal for the "lock" feature instead of two, which should be ignored either way. It should be pretty much the same wiring as the diagram I posted, although the terminals are in slightly different order.

Yup. I just found a thread on it. Now I'm just trying to decide what to put it in. Maybe an old cigar box if I can find one. I'd like something unique as it'll be setting on top of the keg fridge in the garage. The fridge is a 1950 coldpoint (I think) I pulled from my wife's grandmothers garage. She bought it new. I put the four taps in it and just set it low. 63 years old before the thermostats started going out. Now it likes to freeze the bottles I've got in it.

image-3175436822.jpg

Just got done with wiring this up , thinking of a way to test it some how ... Pretty easy all I had to do was read this forum , cut and drill holes and bend wires done !!

hammis said:
so now that my new system is built, i'm going to have some fun and build a cooled fermenter and control it with one of these temp controllers. i somehow lost the NTC probe, but i found this one on ebay which has the same specs and is stainless and threaded. so we'll see how that works out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Water-Temperature-Sensor-fit-Honeywell-Thermostat-NTC-10K-Thermistor-/111003126322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d84d4a32

Cool. Post back if it works.

The two I have are not labeled as Willhi's but they likely have a common source.
7931-label.jpg

The relay is the exact same part as in my STC-1000 and is rated at 15A.
7928-relay.jpg

I have to believe the answer is somewhere in the 328 pages, yet I have searched tirelessly over the last two days trying to find the answer before posting this question.

I also have the CH54 single stage model with ONLY SEVEN terminals on the back. Has anyone developed a wiring diagram for this model? Every other one I've found has 8 terminals.

Would really appreciate the assistance if someone has properly wired this model and has a corresponding diagram!!!

Cheers,
ASD

...I also have the CH54 single stage model with ONLY SEVEN terminals on the back. Has anyone developed a wiring diagram for this model? Every other one I've found has 8 terminals.

Would really appreciate the assistance if someone has properly wired this model and has a corresponding diagram!!!

Cheers,
ASD
The single stage model can control temperature by either heating OR cooling, but not at the same time. Heat or Cool mode must be selected on the controller.

As for wiring, it is basically the same as the STC1000 except there is only one switch, between 6 & 7. The function control, which locks settings, can be ignored.

7931-7037.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to attach a 15 amp (or should it be a 20 amp?) fuse to the incoming power line? I am assuming that it would be the black line - is this correct?

Can anyone tell me how to attach a 15 amp (or should it be a 20 amp?) fuse to the incoming power line? I am assuming that it would be the black line - is this correct?

I put mine (15A breaker) between the service and the relay (black line, the pin 7 line above) because I wanted to protect the internal relay.

I put mine (15A breaker) between the service and the relay (black line, the pin 7 line above) because I wanted to protect the internal relay.

Right - that's what I was thinking. I doubt the relay gets above 5-6 amps - but just in case. Is this just a case of stripping the wire, and attaching each end to where it belongs on the fuse?

Back