Help with water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some pretty wild margins on the high and low values but the average numbers look pretty good. Looks soft to medium to me based on the averages

You really need to get some information about the standard deviations associated with those numbers. If the wide excursions are rare you could work with the averages as they represent very manageable waer but if they are not rare then you really only have, IMO, 2 options:

1. Measure each time you brew. If alkalinity and hardness are unusually high then you can probably assume sulfate and chloride are too though that might not be the case. Even if wide excursion is rare you may wish to check alkalinity each time and just not brew on days when it is high.
2. Install an RO system to get essentially the same water whatever the municipality is supplying at the time.

I'd lean towards 2 because it relieves you of having to worry about water.

That variation suggests that the water source is subject to significant influence from rainfall or surface water. Since you are on Long Island, a terminal moraine with little area for surface reservoirs, I'm betting that the water source is groundwater wells. The relatively short distance to the sound or ocean indicates that the water has relatively short residence in the aquifer and little chance to mineralize to the degree that I might experience here in the Midwest.

I'm betting that the water quality is much more consistent than reported. A call to the water utility would confirm that. I expect that the average values they will give you are much closer to the upper end of the range. The low values are from when you folks get a deluge.

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to adjust for anything as I'm trying to make sure I do everything I can to make great beer. Cheers.:mug:

Back