coopers IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
I have a coopers no boil IPA kit. the recipe calls for 500g of light DME and 300g of dextrose. Now too me thats seems a little weak for an IPA. So i was going to add 1kg of DME and the 300G of dextrose. Does anyone think this would make it better or worse? Should i just follow the recipe on the kit? I'm fairly new to brewing and don't know much. So any help would be great. I don't have any other ingredients but the stuff that came with the kit and and extra 3lb bag of DME. Thanks for any advice. EPS

It is recommended that you use Coopers Brew Enhancer 1.5 . My guess this is malt extract and dextrose (powered sugar) Take your DME, hopefully its light in color and powered sugar make you own enhancer. Basically just double what you have already in the the kit. You are the brewer if you want it more bitter just change the mixture around less malt more dextrose.

You'll probably throw the balance of the beer out. An IPA should be more hoppy than it is bitter. Adding all that DME will probably make it too sweet. When using that kit I reduce the amount of water to 20L, add the DME and dextrose, and add Columbus flavouring hops. I find that this produces an IPA more true to style in taste and strength than the product of following the Coopers' instructions.

Well,first of all,Cooper's cans are intended to make 23L,or 6.072 USG. About 5 imperial gallons. Cutting the total volume to 20L,or 5.28USG will up the OG & ABV% by a few points & improve flavor a bit.
But you have to keep in mind that this is an English IPA. It's mostly bittering,whereas it's American counterpart is mainly hop flavor & aroma. I'd ditch the dextrose (corn sugar,not just powdered sugar) with an equal amount of plain light DME.

I wanted to make this same beer and the local brew store guy told me since I was American (and probably wanted a American style IPA which was true) I wouldn't like it if I made it to the instructions. He recommended just using two cans of IPA for a 23L brew and not adding anything else. He told me he made a batch this way and it turned out good. I'm planning on giving it a try.

He just made a stronger ale. English version winds up with more bittering,that which was found to preserve the beers' flavor while shipping to India. If you want US version,you need more flavor/aroma hops.

Back