Broken Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just checked the gravity on my saison since brewing it 3 weeks ago (OG 1.062). My hydrometer is reading 1.000. Is it possible that the paper slid inside the glass tube? I recall my mash temperature was all over the place, but didn't think much of it. Could this have been a factor?

Did you taste the sample? How dry is it?
Dry. Followed by a slight back-of-the-throat warmth from the alcohol. The typical Saison esters are present without any detectable off-flavors/aromas.

I let the sample sit for a few hours. The hydrometer is now reading 1.003.

It's still possible for some saisons to end up at 1.000 or very near it. My last one came in at 1.002. So yeah, everything sounds just fine, I'm sure you hydrometer is fine.

How about calibrating the hydrometer test to see if water by itself is 1.0000 if it is than your hydrometer is good if it's lower than 1 then its wrong.

What yeast did you use? 3711?

My temps are always all over the place.
Yes, I used 3711. It seems odd that my Saison attenuated so much after reading about others' who got stuck in the 1.020's. This is my first Saison attempt...

fighteroffoo03 said:
Yes, I used 3711. It seems odd that my Saison attenuated so much after reading about others' who got stuck in the 1.020's. This is my first Saison attempt...

If you use 3711 and your FG is above 1.010 on a Saison, you're doing something wrong. Period. That yeast rocks and on the four beers I've made with it I've gotten FGs of .004, .007, .010, and .002, in spite of the act that two of those had OGs above 1.070!

Latest posts

Back