Back to back brewing, how well do you clean and sanitze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
I dont get to brewing that often, so when I do I brew 2 10 gallon batches back to back. I have second mash going during first boil. In between brews I really only clean well with water. No cleanser or sanitizer until cold side. Thoughts? Anyone else do the same? Anyone go crazy and break down keggles and clean between?

The only equipment I sanitize is stuff that touches the wort after boil. I only clean pre-boil equipment with water and oxy. Soap now and again.

I think others do about the same.

I break down my kettle ( weldless fitting ) twice a year to clean. Other than that, I just clean with oxiclean and hot water. Sanitize only the stuff after the boil.

I do a rinse....that's it. Back to back I haven't found the need to go further. Post-boil stuff is well-sanitized of course.

I'm in the same boat. I don't get to brew as often as I like so I usually do back to back brews and time everything so when one vessel is empty it gets filled for the next batch.

For the mash tun I empty it then spray it out. I'm sure I leave some grain under the false bottom but its only a small amount, after the 2nd batch I pull the false bottom and clean it well.

For the boil kettle I rinse and use a brush to loosen any protein and spray it off.

I always rinse my tubing after mashing and the transfer from the BK

Well I'm not the only lazy one. Good...i do breakdown fittings and clean everything after. If I was really organized and motivated I would do Back to back to back..30 gallons..but that would be a long brew day. I feel in between a hard spray with hose is all it takes, thr only challange is my hop screen in the kettle is a ***** to get all the hop pellets out.

Well I'm not the only lazy one. Good...i do breakdown fittings and clean everything after. If I was really organized and motivated I would do Back to back to back..30 gallons..but that would be a long brew day. I feel in between a hard spray with hose is all it takes, thr only challange is my hop screen in the kettle is a ***** to get all the hop pellets out.

Hmmm I hadn't really thought about the hop screen. I currently use a big hop bag and rinse it out between batches, but I've been planning on switching to something more like a hopstopper. If I switch over that might be an issue.

One thought is to try and rinse it out as good as possible and always make a hoppier brew for your second batch.

I always brew lighter style first. I can get about 95% of the particles out without breaking it down and fully cleaning it. I made it our of ss screen, like a hop taco...works great.

Back