British Ale Instead of English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J8D

Reaction score
I bought the British instead of the English Ale yeast. I am making an American Pale that I have used English the last two times. Will the British throw it off or am I safe to proceed? Thanks!!!

White Labs?

It'll add something a bit different - some fruitier esters, perhaps. Won't be a drastic change like a Belgian, though.

It'll be a British-style American ale, I guess.

Exactly what yeast (brand/call #) have you used in the past, and exactly what yeast did you buy this time? Thats a little vague. I don't see any problems though, since Britians are english :D

Sorry for the lack of skinny. Yeast is WL in both cases. In the past I used the English Ale and now have the British Ale. Thank you.

WLP002 English Ale Yeast
A classic ESB strain from one of England's largest independent breweries. This yeast is best suited for English style ales including milds, bitters, porters, and English style stouts. This yeast will leave a beer very clear, and will leave some residual sweetness.
Attenuation: 63-70%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
(18-20°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

WLP005 British Ale Yeast
This yeast is a little more attenuative than WLP002. Like most English strains, this yeast produces malty beers. Excellent for all English style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.
Attenuation: 67-74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70°F
(18-21°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Exactly what yeast (brand/call #) have you used in the past, and exactly what yeast did you buy this time? Thats a little vague. I don't see any problems though, since Britians are english :D

I think there's a lot of English, Northern Irish, Scottish, and Welsh people who would disagree with you there. That's like saying all Americans are Yankees. :D

Back