3" tower; to screw or bolt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
When installing the tower in a sanyo, i have seen both screwing it down and bolting it down.. which have you guys done? why?

I don't have a Sanyo, but screwing a tower to the thin sheet metal of a fridge is a no-go for me. Just not strong enough. If I was making this setup, I'd look for some chrome carriage bolts.

I would vote bolts as well. Look for motorcycle license plate carriage bolts that are chrome and of adequate length; that is if it compliments your tower design. Don't forget the hunk of wood up top. I have seen kegerators with no reinforcement and they feel flimsy when pouring.

I might be the only one here who screwed the tower to the block of reinforcing wood. It was simple to just drill a pilot hole and drive the screw in the hole. Mine doesn't feel flimsy at all, I can't see how bolting it to the wood would make any difference.

My .02

Flyin' Lion said:
I might be the only one here who screwed the tower to the block of reinforcing wood. It was simple to just drill a pilot hole and drive the screw in the hole. Mine doesn't feel flimsy at all, I can't see how bolting it to the wood would make any difference.

My .02

The wood will make it stable - David's original suggestion was not to screw it to the metal top of the fridge, because that really would be flimsy.

Yours should be fine, but bolts have the advantage of not needing to maintain their bite on the wood to stay tight.

I used bolts on mine, but the real key here are the big fat washers (with leetle holes) that will hold all of your now exposed layers together better. Of course, silicone everything too.

;)

Back