Is Honey Important in a Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a Belgian wit as well. How crucial is honey as an ingredient? I’m leaning towards the AHS kit (which has no honey at all), and I’m hoping to brew something that comes as close to Hoegaarden as possible. Should I order the kit and get some clover honey with it?

I would imagine any 'light notes of honey and/or vanilla' (as per BJCP) are flavours resulting from the yeast. This would be similar to the peat character of scottish ales (which have no actual peated malt in them).

A pound or two pounds of honey is nice in a Witte. It may cause you to loose some of the grassy/wheaty flavors. Just be careful not to push th O.G. too high. Also, my experience is that honey has no more of an effect on fermentation time than candy, delmara, rice syrup or cane sugar.

Honey is not important as an ingredient, and it will likely not leave much residual honey flavor. The honey flavor comes from a combination of the yeast, grain, and spice content. It's not a bad idea, but it's certainly not crucial, and it will have minimal effect on the end product.

Back