sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
just purchased the chocolate beaver nuts kit from midwest. it calls for a mini mash and sparging. my question is since i have a large grain bag , can i place all grains in a large bag an steep in 2.5 gallons instead of making a mini mash at 1.5 gallons and sparging
thanks steve

You certainly can, just be sure to keep it at your mash temp for an hour.

If your total grain volume includes base grains (like 2-row,marris otter,etc),then no you can't. Base malts must be mashed in no more than 1-2 quarts of water per pound of grain. I generally use 1-1.5 quarts per pound of grain. Mash between 150-160F generally for one hour.
If you're just using crystal grains,then you can steep in a couple gallons of water. Steeping & mashing are similar,but different.
Then sparge with water about 168F to rinse off more sugars from the grains.

unionrdr said:
If your total grain volume includes base grains (like 2-row,marris otter,etc),then no you can't. Base malts must be mashed in no more than 1-2 quarts of water per pound of grain. I generally use 1-1.5 quarts per pound of grain. Mash between 150-160F generally for one hour.
If you're just using crystal grains,then you can steep in a couple gallons of water. Steeping & mashing are similar,but different.
Then sparge with water about 168F to rinse off more sugars from the grains.

Tell that to BIAB and no sparge brewers ;)

here are the grains
1lb 6 rowmalt
1 lb rolled oats
1.6 lbs chocolate malt
4 oz carapils
8 oz roasted barley
8 oz carmel 120 degrees (pre mixed)
so with this list of ingredients do i need to sparge or can i place in a large grain bag and steep at 154 degrees for 60 minutes then remove the grains and bring to a boil

Base malts must be mashed in no more than 1-2 quarts of water per pound of grain.

I've been doing my all grain BIAB and mash in 2.5 quarts/pound and it works great. I think the 1-2 comes from mashing in a conventional tun where they need the extra water for sparging because the extra water I use doesn't seem to hurt anything.

All I know is 1-2 quarts per pound is conventional wisdom. It's the way most mashes are done. I use 1-1.5/pound & then a like amount to sparge with in a seperate kettle.

All I know is 1-2 quarts per pound is conventional wisdom. It's the way most mashes are done. I use 1-1.5/pound & then a like amount to sparge with in a seperate kettle.

I'm a 1.5 qt per pound kinda guy as well and use equal amounts of water for mashing and sparging. Never done it any other way to say any different but this works just great for me.

Back