Who is the second best QB in the NFL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Well there can be no reasonable arguement that anyone is better this year than the obvious number 1, Tom Brady. (Please, don't embarass yourself whining about Cameragate and how the Pats ALMOST lost a few games.)

You are witnessing the best team of all time here. Just like everyone hated the Cowboys, and everyone hated the Roman Empire; everyone hates the boot that kicks it. Deep down in your hearts you all wish your team was doing what the Pats are doing now. You might not want to admit it, but you know it.

I gotta tell ya, having witnessed the Pats playing in Harvard Stadium when the wooden benches caught on fire; been a kid at opening night at the old Schaefer Stadium on Opening Night when not only weren't there lights in the bathrooms, there weren't toilets in the bathrooms; been stuck in the parking 'meadow' on the first time there was a Monday Night Football game in Foxboro until noon on Tuesday; witness some arsewipes pull down the goalpost after the Pats won a game, carry said goalposts down Rt 1, and get those goalposts stuck in the high tension wires over the highway and end up crisp fried. Did I mention Aluminum benches when it's 5*F; or Pat Sullivan getting dope slapped on the sidelines by Howie Long (Still his ONLY redeaming feature). Mark Henderson on work release from Walpole Prison 5 miles down the road on his snowplow. Hugh Millen? Dick McPhearson? Tony F'ing Eason? Roughing the freakin' passer on Stabler? Refrigerator F'ing Perry?

Ok, Paul take a deep breath!

I tell my kids this crap and they don't believe me. Hell, if I didn't live thru it I wouldn't believe it. You couldn't make a movie about this. No-one would believe it. This team was once the absolute laughing stock of the entire league. They would have needed to improve to suck. Now that they own every other team in the league it's tough to believe that stuff actually happened. But it did and they do.

So anyways, my question is, who's number 2? Romo? Rothlessberger? Manning? (It goes without saying I mean Manning #1)

OK, I'm done screaming "Theatre' in a crowded fire. Discuss amoung yourselves.

Paulthenurse

I'm gonna say Brady is the second best QB in the league. Product of outstanding coaching, has the best receiver in the game, and of course is a fantastic quarterback.

jzal8 said:
I'm gonna say Brady is the second best QB in the league. Product of outstanding coaching, has the best receiver in the game, and of course is a fantastic quarterback.
OK Giants guy, who are you saying is number 1? Manning the Much Younger? That's laughable.

Theatre!!!! Theatre!!!!! Theatre!!!!!!!!!!! I lied, I'm drunk.

Just for the sake of stating it, a QB is only as good as his OL. I think those guys should get all the credit, especially when they give TB 5 years to figure out who to throw to.

paulthenurse said:
OK Giants guy, who are you saying is number 1? Manning the Much Younger? That's laughable.

Haha, no I will admit, we got the unfortunate manning. But I am a firm believe that Payton is the best at the quarterback position. Don't get me wrong, Brady is having an unbelievable season/career and is an excellent quarterback. I'd take him over 30 other quarterbacks in this league.

I just believe that if Brady was on the a lesser team, playing for a lesser organization it would really show. (Being that one cannot deny the excellent job the patriots front office and coaching staff have done over the past 7 years to get to where they are).

I do feel however that Payton could thrive on any number of bad teams. Sure the Colts have done a pretty good job, but at the same time it seems like we never come into a season saying look at how much better the team around Payton has gotten. We usually end up looking at how their offense progresses into a better team over the course of a regular season and I think offensively that progression has everything to do with Payton's leadership and tactical savy.

Hey second ain't bad.

Semi-:off:

Not that he's one of the four or five best in the league, but the guy who has NEVER gotten enough credit/respect in the league is Jeff Garcia. Hell, he's sixth in the league in QB rating this year, FWIW. Since he was pushed out of San Fran, they've sucked. He played better for Philly than McNabb did last year, and did anybody expect Tampa Bay to have the third-best record in the NFC this year (OK, tied for third).

I've convinced that Garcia doesn't get the respect he deserves as a player because he's little and a bit effeminate. He's always been a pretty damn good player, there were many, many guys in the league who were starting last year who weren't half the player he is.

Kudos to Jeff Garcia for his quite attractive SMWBO...

715.preview.jpg

Well since your question is about the best QB in the league, not the best team or the QB with the best weapons around him, Tom Brady is not the best QB in the league - Peyton Manning is. Brady is obviously having the best year of any QB in the league *this year*.

Since he became the starter in 2001, Brady has proven to be one of the best clutch QB's in the game, but his stats have certinaly not been anything spectacular up until this year. Prior to this year, he never threw for more than 28 td's in a season, and never threw less than 12 INT's. I'm not here to bash Brady - because he's certainly a top notch QB, He's just not the best in the league. This may be news to the Greater New England Tom Brady Nut Tugger Club, but it's not news to anyone who follows the NFL as a whole.

The SB wins are undeniable, and instantly put him ahead of some guys who have had better stats over the last 7 years but I put Brady at #3 in a list of active QB's.

#1 - Peyton Manning (Career season averages - 4,069 yds, 29.8 td, 15.2 int, 64% comp, 7.7 Yards/Attempt, 7 pro bowls, 1 SB championship, 1 SB MVP)

#2 - Brett Favre (Career season averages - 3,762 yds, 27.25 td, 17.69 int, 61.4% comp, 7.0 Y/A, 8 pro bowls, 1 SB championship)

#3 - Tom Brady (Career season averages - 3,608 yds, 26.8 td, 11.86 int, 62.9% comp, 7.2 Y/A, 3 pro bowls, 3 SB championships, 2 SB MVP's)

No one else in the league is even worth putting on this list. All 3 of these guys have championships and are all first ballot HOF guys, but just because you're a Patriots slappy and *you* think that Brady is the best QB in the league doesn't mean that it's true. :D

Jeff Garcia? He's not even in the same class as these 3 guys. Garcia will never get anywhere near anyone's HOF ballot. I have one word.. MOONBALL! (I'm trying to find a clip of this from the '05 season when he was with the Lions... it's hilarious).

He's had a couple good years in SF, played well in Philly, and is playing well so far in TB this year, but all anyone seems to remember about him are his 'good seasons'. What about when he sucked it up in SF, or went to Cleveland and was a huge flop, or was named the starter in Detroit and failed miserably? He's above average at best.

Just my opinion... GNETBNTC members flame away.

Did you read the part where I said Garcia wasn't one of the best players in the league, just a guy who's better than he gets credit for? I even put a little :off: icon there and everything...

His numbers are down this year, but no way to not go with Peyton as #2. It's kind of like watching Montana growing up; when the ball is NOT placed exactly where it should be, it's shocking. Brady's been the same way for most of the year, but Peyton's been doing it for a long time (at least, MOST of the time). Peyton (and Brady, this year) are also both guys who can make every throw they need to make - deep balls, quick outs, short stuff, timing patterns, virtually anything.

paulthenurse said:

I bet you never showed your face or even admitted you were a Pats fan when they were the laughing stock of the NFL. You may laugh but I will always be a Giants fan.

Now that the Pats are winning, we can't shut the NE fans up. Nothing against a team like the Pats (and I do envy their season this year, heck I envy every team that does well, I'm a Giants fan - lately that is what we do - but I have to tell ya if there is one thing that gets on my nerves as a NY fan is a New England fan gloating when they are winning or wining when they are losing.

I know its hard, but just remember that no matter how much you gloat, no matter how much NE wins, no matter what sport, in the North East, no matter what, nothing can beat the city that never sleeps, nothing.

So go on Mr. New England fan - jump, cheer, and gloat for your team is the best this year so far. Be warned... the day is coming could happen Sunday or later in Playoffs. it only takes a game on any given Sunday.

BTW - The difference is that Brady is a product of his environment and the Colts are a product of Payton.

- WW

the_bird said:
Did you read the part where I said Garcia wasn't one of the best players in the league, just a guy who's better than he gets credit for? I even put a little :off: icon there and everything...

Ya, I saw it. I'm just yankin your chain...

To be honest, I don't really care who has the best QB, or the best at any one position for that matter. Those 3 guys are all awesome, and any one of them can play well enough to lead their team to a SB win. The rest of the team make up has so much more to do with how the team (including the QB) performs on any given weekend. The offense is all about the O-line, and how the skilled players work together!

Are we talking this year or careers to date? If it's this year I'd say Brady, Favre barely over Romo or tie. Manning probably 4th.

Career is a different story and then Romo wouldn't be in the picture yet (think Warner then/now). And that's no disrespect to Romo he just hasn't been doing it long enough yet.

I remember as a kid thinking that Bart Starr was the best quarterback in the NFL. But then I grew up and was able to think past the end of my nose. I realized that Johnny Unitas was the best quarterback in football. Bart Starr was the best quarterback on the best team in football. Tom Brady is the best quarterback on the best team in football. When you grew up and see past the end of your nose you'll see that. Peyton Manning I think is the best quarterback in football. Brady might be second, maybe third. Only looking back through time will we know for sure. Enjoy the Patriots. They are having a hell of a season.

Tom Brady is Hands Down the Best QB in the league and has been for the last 4 years in my opinion. 2nd is Carson Palmer

Short Drive said:
I remember as a kid thinking that Bart Starr was the best quarterback in the NFL. But then I grew up and was able to think past the end of my nose. I realized that Johnny Unitas was the best quarterback in football. Bart Starr was the best quarterback on the best team in football. Tom Brady is the best quarterback on the best team in football. When you grew up and see past the end of your nose you'll see that. Peyton Manning I think is the best quarterback in football. Brady might be second, maybe third. Only looking back through time will we know for sure. Enjoy the Patriots. They are having a hell of a season.

I would have agreed with you last season.

Brady, this year, has been so accurate with his throws (not so much last week), it's absolutely insane. Not just catchable balls - balls exactly where the receiver needs them. Deep stuff, short stuff, quick stuff. Having great receivers helps, having the great O-line helps more; but other than Manning, I've never seen a QB be that accurate, and Brady's been better this season.

ohiobrewtus said:
#1 - Peyton Manning (Career season averages - 4,069 yds, 29.8 td, 15.2 int, 64% comp, 7.7 Yards/Attempt, 7 pro bowls, 1 SB championship, 1 SB MVP)

#2 - Brett Favre (Career season averages - 3,762 yds, 27.25 td, 17.69 int, 61.4% comp, 7.0 Y/A, 8 pro bowls, 1 SB championship)

#3 - Tom Brady (Career season averages - 3,608 yds, 26.8 td, 11.86 int, 62.9% comp, 7.2 Y/A, 3 pro bowls, 3 SB championships, 2 SB MVP's)

Exactly right. Clearly, Manning is the best in the league. Nobody else is even close.

Do you think the Brady could lead this Packer team to the playoffs? I don't think so. Do you think the Pats are in the same position with Favre? Probably.

Brady is an excellent QB, but much of his success is due to the system and the players around him.

rdwj said:
Exactly right. Clearly, Manning is the best in the league. Nobody else is even close.

Do you think the Brady could lead this Packer team to the playoffs? I don't think so. Do you think the Pats are in the same position with Favre? Probably.

Brady is an excellent QB, but much of his success is due to the system and the players around him.

That is so wrong, I'm just going to walk away from this discussion.

1 Peyton Manning

2 Farve

3 Brady

This is best QB, not best team (pats have that locked up).

Palmer? hahahaha good one. He is good, but not in the same league as the top 3.

rdwj said:

I agree for the most part. I give Brady a bit more credit than you do, but those with Patriots blinders on see only what they want to see. There's no convincing them otherwise.

If you're not number one, does it really matter? Who wants to be the first loser? :D

BTW, could someone please remove the picture of the bikini girl? That's NSFW for a lot of people and I almost got caught.

Neomich said:
If you're not number one, does it really matter? Who wants to be the first loser? :D

BTW, could someone please remove the picture of the bikini girl? That's NSFW for a lot of people and I almost got caught.

Where do you work, in a convent? :drunk:

No, but someone randomly walking by won't know anything else besides the bikini girl on my computer screen. With my luck, it would be someone who counts.

I don't mind people posting that stuff but a heads up before opening the thread would be appreciated. :mug:

I can't say that Manning is the best QB due to the trouble he has when he is missing his top weapons. The same can be said for Tom Brady. It is almost impossible to evaluate QBs (or any other football position) in a vacuum since it only works when everyone is doing what they are supposed to. Unlike baseball where a pitcher can control the game, a football team requires everyone to perform in order for the play to succeed.

Put Brady or Manning on the Dolphins, chances are their stats will fall way off.

That said, right now, this season, Brady has the best stats, that makes him the best QB. You wanna talk about best QB career right now, it is Favre hands down.

Neomich said:
No, but someone randomly walking by won't know anything else besides the bikini girl on my computer screen. With my luck, it would be someone who counts.

I don't mind people posting that stuff but a heads up before opening the thread would be appreciated. :mug:
You just need to turn off pictures in your user control panel. No 2 ways about it.

Short Drive said:

+1. IMHO, Brady hasn't shown me that he is #1-yet. I'm reserving judgement till I see what he does when his supporting cast is less than stellar. He's very good, no doubt, but he has always had the benefit of Super-Bowl caliber talent around him. I'd like to see what he does with lesser talent around him. The same could be said about Manning.

Neomich said:

What if they walked by and saw pictures of beer? I might be liberal with the photos, but IMO bikinis are just as conspicuous as alcohol when it comes to work policies. Thank God I don't have to worry about that... :D

Bernie Brewer said:
+1. IMHO, Brady hasn't shown me that he is #1-yet. I'm reserving judgement till I see what he does when his supporting cast is less than stellar. He's very good, no doubt, but he has always had the benefit of Super-Bowl caliber talent around him. I'd like to see what he does with lesser talent around him. The same could be said about Manning.

What about last year? 24 TDs, 12 picks, throwing the ball to Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown (love him, but he's about 85 years old), Doug Gabriel, and Jabar Gaffney.

Other than Randy Moss Brady has never had the talent around him that compares to Reggie Wayne,Marvin Harrison,Edgrin james,or Dallas. He had Deion Branch and Troy Brown but they were not even close to being as good as what peyton has.

Brady gets the credit for his O lines work. He would not be the QB he is now with out the team he has around him. People like to think you take take this "god" and put him on any team and he will operate flawlessly. No a ****ing chance. I do wish my team had the record the Pats do but Im so dam sick of hearing people talk about how much they want to suck Tom Brady off. Yes he is a great quarterback but he is not the best. If he is still taking his team tot he playoffs in 10 years then we might talk. But we wont be.

Just because:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

the_bird said:
I would have agreed with you last season.

Brady, this year, has been so accurate with his throws (not so much last week), it's absolutely insane. Not just catchable balls - balls exactly where the receiver needs them. Deep stuff, short stuff, quick stuff. Having great receivers helps, having the great O-line helps more; but other than Manning, I've never seen a QB be that accurate, and Brady's been better this season.

I second your sentiment here. He is not being a Culpepper to Moss QB. He is being unbelievable in his running the show this year.

the_bird said:
What about last year? 24 TDs, 12 picks, throwing the ball to Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown (love him, but he's about 85 years old), Doug Gabriel, and Jabar Gaffney.

Yeah with an awesome running game, a top-five defense to back him up on the other side of the ball, and an O-line that gave him enough time to write out his Christmas cards before each throw.. Come on. I didn't just mean his receiving corps. I want to see what see can do with mediocre surroundings. I'd like to see the same with Manning, too but in each case it'll prolly never happen.

Back