What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where do i begin?

-kegged my elderberry wheat (also added a hop bag full of 2oz of vodka-soaked elderberries to dry hop in the keg)
-washed my fermenting buckets
-removed labels, cleaned and sanitized a case of bombers
-bottled off the remaining of my:
----Gulden Draak Clone
----Unearthly Clone
----Nut Brown

-Put my corny of Chocolate Cherry Porter on (Using 3# of Cherry Puree) the kegerator
-Put my corny of my Punkin Ale clone on the kegerator
-Cleaned my leftover kegs
- And discovered i'm running low on my IPA and ESB kegs, my hefe is about to kick and my apfelwein is also just about out... i feel like i have a bunch in the pipeline but i guess its time to brew more..

if i had any more energy i would be checking the calibration of the sight glass on my kettle, but i think i'm being coerced into decorating the christmas tree tonight

Hydrometer readings on 3 beers: Old Ale down 1.107> 1.041, Patersbier stalled around 1.030, SNCA clone at 1.008. Gotten several stalled beers lately--hence the oxygenation kit inbound from Williams Brewing :)

My work issued a challenge... there are several of us that brew and we thought it would fun to have a little competition. So, the organizer came up with a grain, a set amount amount of certain hops, and a set yeast strain and amount and it is up to us to utilize these things and brew the best beer.

"What I did for beer today" was build my recipe, I guess my protocol would be more accurate since the "recipe" was pre-determined. It was a challenge to figure when to use the hops and think about water chemistry and mash schedule. I am very excited to see how this goes.

:mug:

bottled my first 5 gallon batch... getting a pipeline going. Also, checked my swamp cooler to regulate temps on the other batch.

Opened my first bottle of my 2nd ever 5 gal batch for a tasting. This was and Irish Red Ale. Yummy!

2012-12-05_16-58-14_846.jpg

Pulled a beer at ten am to "check the carbonation." very close, but another sample might cross the line this early in the morning... Hmmm. Slurp. Now I just have to figure out how to make it last. Probably not by drinking yet another sample. Slurp

Surfed the Home Brew forum all morning while at work......:mug:

Keep checking the UPS site on my Norhern Brewer Order delivery status......:p

1. Threw away some old food in the chest freezer so I could better organize my hops.
  2. Picked up my grain bill and yeast for the Founders Oatmeal Stout I'm brewing this weekend.
  3. Also picked up a Tempranillo Cabernet kit.
  4. Looked over Blichmann boil kettles and plate chillers and felt like my son at Toys-R-Us.

My wife texted me a picture of my carboy with a caption that says "It exploded! Call me!!" (I'm in Montana for work for at least 2 months)

I used wlp007 and thought this might happen, so I put it in the back bathroom shower stall...unfortunately, I wasn't bright enough to put a blow off hose on. Lucky for me my was is awesome and has watched me do enough stuff beerwise, she sanitized everything installed a blowoff hose and even used a clamp to keep the hose in the bucket because it was "bubbling like a bastard" (her words, not mine) haha.

I'm sure everything will be fine...I should let her name this beer considering all I did was brew it. She'll rack it, and bottle it.

My wife texted me a picture of my carboy with a caption that says "It exploded! Call me!!" (I'm in Montana for work for at least 2 months)

I used wlp007 and thought this might happen, so I put it in the back bathroom shower stall...unfortunately, I wasn't bright enough to put a blow off hose on. Lucky for me my was is awesome and has watched me do enough stuff beerwise, she sanitized everything installed a blowoff hose and even used a clamp to keep the hose in the bucket because it was "bubbling like a bastard" (her words, not mine) haha.

I'm sure everything will be fine...I should let her name this beer considering all I did was brew it. She'll rack it, and bottle it.

She's definitely a keeper eh? My wife is rarely willing to even help cap bottles.

Still got the pic you could share?

Bought 4 ball lock kegs, a jet burner for my HLT, two 5gal glass fermenters with handles, a 5# CO2 tank with regulator, and a two-way manifold for $200. Sad to see a fellow brewer leave the game, but made Christmas early for me!

Transfer to keg my lavender chamomile ale, sampled my all Brett beer that's been sitting since may 31'st, brewing a fat tire clone at 2 below... Good day!!

Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it.

Brewed my Amarillo Dillo Hoppy Wheat (55 IBU all amarillo)... but this ^^^ really made my day. If it wasn't so long, I'd put it in my sig!

Oh hell it'll prolly show up there soon....;)

Gettin ice for the ice bath,batteries for camera & digital scale. Another pm pale ale will be brewed tomorrow. Of course,I'll need beer & vodka to clean some bottles & get the FV ready again tonight.

Rackedy Russian imperial stout to a Carnot so it can sit for a couple of months. Now my fermenting bucket is available for the Founders breakfast stout I'm brewing on Sunday.

Yesterday, I spent the better part of a two-hour drive, explaining what little I know about homebrewing to a detail-obsessed coworker. Strange thing is, I was always under the understanding that he didn't drink. He seemed genuinely interested, which surprised me most of all. After a long, excrement-laden, unpleasant day of working on critical power equipment in rooms that do not fit people over 5'8" in height (such as my 6'3" self), I needed to wrap my brain around something else. I tried a fully-conditioned bottle of my Christmas ale. It tasted strange, but it was still pleasant. I will probably have another right now.

Bottled my Bee Cave Hefeweizen tonite.

Cleaning bottles now in preparation for bottling my Sweet Stout next week.

Also, getting things ready for tomorrows brew day....Nut Brown

Took advantage of AHB's fermenter sale: a 7.9 gal. Pail and 5 gal. BB, with stoppers and airlocks, for $29.99.

Went to brew store picked up 100lb-2row,50lb-pale malt, specialty grains for 4 brews. 3 carboys haulers, hops cause they where on sale and why not. Went to plumbing supply house picked up fittings for strut and gas piping.

When I got home I cut UNI-Strut for brew kettles and gas piping, bolted everything in place and re-ran my gas line through mechanical room and out wall for brew rig. Fitted up my piping up to burners just have to thread it in the morning.

Went to a beer tasting of Boulevard Brewing Co. SmokeStack series and bought a few brews and some Buffalo Trace Bourbon to rewet barrels for aging.

Oh and dropped of some shelves a friend wanted me to haul off to the LHBS. Free to me and I have no where for them, nice shelves to.

Darkness, that's a heck of a beer day!!! I see a strut single-tier in my near future as well.

I spent 3 hours talking beer and having a blast with Chris White (Labs) and Justin & Doc from the Brewing Network! Fantastic folks!

installed my perlick stainless stout faucet and hooked up my new nitrogen tank... put on a chocolate milk stout that is killer

Went to the LHBS and picked up some vanilla beans for an all grain stout I'll be brewing soon. Also got some high temp hose for my MLT. Came home and sampled my first bottle of Cream Ale. Damn, it came out awesome, though could stand for another week of carbonation.

FirstTasteCreamAle.jpg

Lots of beer tasks this weekend. Yesterday I bottled a bunch of bombers from the remaining Vanilla Oaked Stout and an Amerian Amber Ginger Ale whic was dryhopped with an extra oz of whole Citra. Today I kegged my own Gingersnap Christmas Ale. That one is part of our clubs 12 Beers of Christmas beer exchange next weekend.

I got to get brewing again now that I have nothing fermenting.
:mug:

Brewed my 2nd pm pale ale yesterday. Started around 9:30am cleaning FV,which had cobwebs on it from using the ale pail instead. Took until dinner time to get done. So I'm cleaning up my brewing stuff today. Still got some to do,but with a bad back & hip joints uncle joe's movin kinda slow.

I sewed up two grain bags and two hop bags while the 80/- wort was boiling. Still have enough voile left to make a BIAB when the hubby decides what pot to buy.

Despite having my vasectomy surgery two days ago, brew day went on as scheduled! (With my brew partner doing all the heavy lifting- might need to get a vasectomy more often :wink).

We brewed up an all grain batch of peanut butter cup stout, curious what it'll turn out like, but it wa a request from the lady folk.

Made a 5 gallon batch of Kolsch for my upcoming birthday party.
Got 5 gal batch of LHMS fermenting
Got 5 gal batch of Upstate Mike Caramel Apple Cider chilling
Got 5 gal batch of WPGA chilling

Later in the evening will be bottling my Robust Porter, dry-hopping my Black IPA, swapping ice in the swamp cooler for my pseudo-lagering Cal Common (holding at 45 degrees), and pulling a small sample of my Scotch Ale to check the oak character (don't anticipate it being strong enough after 2 weeks, but I'd rather check too early than too late).

Woke up at 5:00am on a Sunday to brew 2 10 gallon Batches. One was a toasted pale ale the other was a Royal ale, both great beers. Needless to say 20 gallons of beer in one day was time consuming but by the time I was all cleaned up I was done by 7:00pm. Also using blow-off tubes for the first time, fingers crossed. Cheers to everyone!

Back