American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed another 10 gal over the weekend. Mashed at 155F to counter the 1 lb of light brown sugar that I added with 15 min left in the boil. This time, I tweaked the hop schedule hoping to smooth out the bitterness a bit. I went with:

1oz Cascade FWH
1oz Cascade 60 min
1oz Cascade 10 min
1oz Cascade 0 min

OG was 1.056. Fermenting at 67F using US05.

chemdoc said:
I've been thinking of trying this, also. Keep us updated as to how it turns out and how it compares to the "normal."

The wet hop brew got transferred to kegs. Carbed up a small sample, I think it is about the same, maybe a little less bitter. It's a winner either way.

Just brewed this up yesterday. Decided to make a 2.5 gallon extract batch with fresh cascade hops. I'm back logged on "the drinking side" and only have IPA and a hazelnut brown at the moment. Had a rough brew day, but think all worked out well. Went with extract so that i could knock this one out quickly, but because of complications took almost as long as AG batch. I'm interested to see how the fresh hops compare.

Made this last month with an ounce of centennial for bittering and then a pound of wet cascade at flameout/whirlpool. For some reason the hops have died out mostly since I kegged it - my first time using fresh, maybe something to do with that. But anyways, this dried out to one of the best pales I have ever had. The finish is dry and light, very quaffable and then the aftertaste hits you with a very pronounced bready flavor - love the Vienna ratio. Simple, effective.

Just brewed this Monday night BIAB hit the mash temp and OG perfect. I got up the next morning and it was fermenting great lots of bubbles. I get home and its bubbling even faster. I've never worried about my fermentation temps but I wanted to try a swamp cooler and see how big the difference would be. I took a temp and it was 82* inside the carboy wow!

I got a big round tub thing and got the temp down to 68* in a couple hours and bubbling slowed alot. I'm wondering if I should have had it in the swamp cooler from the beginning? I plan on doing it on all my brews from now on though temps were alot higher inside than I thought.

We are having a slight heat wave out here in California. Temps have been up in the mid-90s. Luckily, I put my fermenter in a swamp cooler after brewing this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't install the blowoff tube and had foam coming out of the airlock on day two even with the cooler. I hate when that happens. Swamp cooler caught the mess, but now the water is all murky and gross.

Doing this again tomorrow. But using 3 oz of Galaxy and using BRY 97 yeast. Thought this would be a good grain base to try a new hop for me and yeast. Thanks to Matt at my LHBS for the hookup.

Doing this again tomorrow. But using 3 oz of Galaxy and using BRY 97 yeast. Thought this would be a good grain base to try a new hop for me and yeast. Thanks to Matt at my LHBS for the hookup.

I would suggest using something other than Galaxy for the 60 minute. It can get a little harsh when added early in the boil. I'd even ne leary of using it at 30.
... jus' my 2 cents

cheers

Astringency is more a mouthfeel than a flavor. Galaxy is a high alpha citrusy hop, likely to impart a lot of bitter if boiled for 60.

Ended up doing Cascade at 60 and 30 min. Then .5 oz galaxy at 15 and .5 oz at flameout. Smelled wonderful. The BRY-97 hit this off in 12 hours and is raging fully. Going to let it roll 14 days @ 64 degrees then crash and keg.

Ended up doing Cascade at 60 and 30 min. Then .5 oz galaxy at 15 and .5 oz at flameout. Smelled wonderful. The BRY-97 hit this off in 12 hours and is raging fully. Going to let it roll 14 days @ 64 degrees then crash and keg.

niiice! Can't wait to hear how it turns out for you. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

That is not what I want. Anyone else use at start of boil?

May sub cascade to start and pick up galaxy at 15 min and flame out.

Ive done an ounce of galaxy at 60 for my IPA. The beer turned out great, definitely not astringent. Obviously you gotta scale back on the amount added for a pale ale but I say go for it.

I brewed this 2 weeks ago, will be a 4 week primary before cold crashing & bottling. Mashed at 152F->150F (@ 60 min), controlled fermentation temp at 63F with Wyeast 1056, OG = 1.053, FG = 1.006 (6.2% ABV). I'll mash at 154F next time, but I've had dry beers go over very well.

OG = 1.053
FG = 1.008 (hydrometer)
No changes to recipe except Wyeast 1056 @ 63F

Cleared with gelatin, reyeasted with S04 @ bottling. Brewed for Thanksgiving, definitely a rebrew after the first taste.

Haus Pale Ale_Pic 2.jpg

Brewed another 10 gal over the weekend. Mashed at 155F to counter the 1 lb of light brown sugar that I added with 15 min left in the boil. This time, I tweaked the hop schedule hoping to smooth out the bitterness a bit. I went with:

1oz Cascade FWH
1oz Cascade 60 min
1oz Cascade 10 min
1oz Cascade 0 min

OG was 1.056. Fermenting at 67F using US05.

Just an update: The FG ended at 1.008 making this a 6.5% ABV beer! I like this hop schedule. The Cascade aroma and flavor are much more pronounced. While the beer is 4 weeks old, it has a slight "hot" flavor to it. It may need a couple of more weeks for the alcohol to mellow a bit. It's tasty as is though and I can't wait for it to mature a bit more.

I've been asked to prepare a batch of beer for my brother-in-law's birthday party in December. Going to make this one this weekend. Looks like a crowd-pleaser!

Got my first batch of this in the fermenter last night, I did a BIAB method. The hydrometer sample tasted great. Can't wait to try this one. I wanted to have it ready by Thanksgiving for family/friends, but couldn't get it brewed soon enough. Guess I'll have to try to save some for Christmas if I don't drink it all first. Another batch of this will be made as soon as I rack it to the keg.

This turned out really good. Sorry I am not the worlds great photographer, but here it is:

GRAIN BILL:
10 lbs 2-row pale malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Crystal 10L Malt

BOIL and HOPS:
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

YEAST:
Safale 05

PaleAle.jpg

Pulled some to hydro test, it looks like its done. Force carbed some in a 1L coke bottle. It is not clear, but I never cared about clarity. Well balanced, cascades shine. I need more ingredients so i can start another batch when i keg this one.

Brewed this up last night for my first all-grain batch. Ended with about 5 gallons in the fermenter however i got a gravity reading of 1.060. Do you guys think I should stop fermentation around 1.020 or let it go all the way out? Im not sure how a potential 7% haus ale might taste.

Let it finish. You might have of flavors from stopping a fermentation early as the yeast won't have the chance to clean up the mess. It will also be very sweet. Sure, it'll be stronger, but will still be a great ale!

flex_318 said:
Brewed this up last night for my first all-grain batch. Ended with about 5 gallons in the fermenter however i got a gravity reading of 1.060. Do you guys think I should stop fermentation around 1.020 or let it go all the way out? Im not sure how a potential 7% haus ale might taste.

I've over shot this before and had a 6.8%, all I did was dry hop it with another oz of cascade and it was delicious.

This has been my favorite brew for the last year. Lately I''ve tweaked the recipe by adding 2# of malt ( marris otter ) and adding .75 oz of nugget at flame out. I've done a lot of hops experimentation and I have reached personal perfection. Ymmv but I'm in love with my slant on this awesome recipe. Try it if you dare. I find my tweaks give this recipe a certain " wow, this is awesome", at first sip factor.

I've wound up with 6.8% too. Tastes good but you can sure wind up with a headache because it still goes down easy.

As my "first ever" brew, I am planning on doing this. I am jumping straight onto AG, since here in Istanbul I do not have access to brew kits etc.

I am planning on bottling Ed's original recipe. I see that everyone is kegging, so here is my (probably silly) newbie question: should I do anything to carbonate, such as adding priming sugars? :confused:

Welcome to a great hobby!

You will have to prime with some kind of fermentable sugar to carbonate. A simple sugar like table sugar or corn sugar is most commonly used. Check out the Kegging/Bottling forum for lots of information.

FG has been hit. Tastes a tad yeasty still. Hoping a 2-day 34F cold crash will knock out the yeast and clear it up. Now keg or bottle, that is the question...

tarikapak said:
As my "first ever" brew, I am planning on doing this. I am jumping straight onto AG, since here in Istanbul I do not have access to brew kits etc.

I am planning on bottling Ed's original recipe. I see that everyone is kegging, so here is my (probably silly) newbie question: should I do anything to carbonate, such as adding priming sugars? :confused:

Yes boil a cup of water with 5 oz priming sugar. Add that to your bottling bucket and rack your beer on top of it.

jammin said:
Guess I'm more in line with this published info:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I wonder why you can get away with so much more dextrose. I imagine your beer is very fizzy.

Never had a fizzy beer and I use the full 5oz every time. 5 oz is the standard that comes with brew kits you can use more or less depending on vol of co2 desired.

Back