conversion of 19th century recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
I have an English brewing book printed in 1830. It has a porter recipe that I would like to make, as well as a few others. The problem is that the quantities are greater than my 5gal capacity and the measurements are in barrels (200 year old english version), stones, etc.

Is there a good resourse for converting these to modern measurements so I can attempt to scale it down?

The things you probably need conversions for are the barrel which is 300 lbs of water or 36 US gallons and the quarter which was 8 bushels of malt. The weight depended on the particular malt but I think 356 lbs/quarter is a more or less standard conversion

I would love to take a look at the recipe! I've always wanted to brew such an old recipe. Would you mind posting it?

You're in luck. Conversion is easy. We're dealing with Winchester measure, which, for our purposes, is exactly the same in 2012 as it was in 1830.

A UK barrel is 36 UK gallons.
A UK gallon is 1.2 US gallons.
A stone is 14 pounds.
Quarters and bushels are as above.
Pounds and ounces are precisely the same.

From there the arithmetic ain't hard; we're not talking rocket science here. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Back