Beer line issue maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
So, I made a batch of Root Beer last week, and I'm noticing that the beer line it dispenses from isn't staying pressurized when attached to the keg. That is, when I pull down on the faucet, a bunch of air spurts out, and then a smooth stream of RB then comes out as it should. I close the faucet, and then when I try another pull, once again sputters out air and splashes RB everywhere, and then smooth pour.

My other faucet does not do this, it stays pressurized and always pours smoothly.

I have to add some additional information as well -

The Gas-In line poppet is malfuctioning. When the gas line is detached, it leaks... but when attached I can't hear any leaking at all.. however it could still be leaking. However, when I pull up on the pressure relief valve, it releases a lot of air, so I don't think it's leaking much at all. Could this contribute to the pressurization issue?

If the keg is pressurized, a leak in the CO2 line or poppet won't make a difference... you're still putting in more CO2 than letting out (positive flow into the keg). You may run out of CO2 faster, but as long as the KEG is being PRESSURIZED, the CO2 lines, fittings, poppets, etc, won't cause a beer line to fill with gas like that.

Because of where the air is building up (at top of the gas line), I would be more inclined to think the faucet is leaking. It still doesn't make much sense though, cause that beer line should be pressurized, provided it stays attached the the keg, and provided the keg stays under pressure. That is, if the faucet it leaking while under pressure, you're bound to see beer dripping out of it than air accumulating in it.

Have you disconnected/connected any kegs within that system prior to this issue?

????? Not sure what I just did, but I took everything apart, completely drained the CO2, hooked everything back up, and now its fully pressurized.

No freakin clue.

I did find out however that my post is so stuck, I can't get it off with the equipment I have, lol.

How long is your beer line? I'm guessing about 20'+ given the pressure. Could the cause be from the fact that you have a pressure drop through the line so that just before the faucet the beer is only at, say, 5 psi to get a nice pour with not too much foaming. Now since when it is pouring CO2 could be breaking out of solution due to this pressure drop along the lines, when the tap closes the pressure jumps back up to 30 psi but all the gas bubbles that have already been release along the line don't go back into solution, they flow to the highest point (your tap) and collect there untill you pull the next glass.
Just a theory ;)

How long is your beer line? I'm guessing about 20'+ given the pressure. Could the cause be from the fact that you have a pressure drop through the line so that just before the faucet the beer is only at, say, 5 psi to get a nice pour with not too much foaming. Now since when it is pouring CO2 could be breaking out of solution due to this pressure drop along the lines, when the tap closes the pressure jumps back up to 30 psi but all the gas bubbles that have already been release along the line don't go back into solution, they flow to the highest point (your tap) and collect there untill you pull the next glass.
Just a theory ;)

5' using 12 PSI.

Ive recently had the same issue :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/spluttering-faucet-217601/

I finally solved the problem but Im not 100% sure what was causing it.
I replaced the O-ring on the "out" post and cleaned the dip tube and poppet valve.
I suspect there may have been something stuck in the poppet valve which allowed the beer to flow back down the beer line and into the keg.

Now since when it is pouring CO2 could be breaking out of solution due to this pressure drop along the lines, when the tap closes the pressure jumps back up to 30 psi but all the gas bubbles that have already been release along the line don't go back into solution, they flow to the highest point (your tap) and collect there untill you pull the next glass.
Just a theory ;)

I never would have thought of that. Way to think outside the box!

Back