Stratification in the grain bed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I fly sparge so my mash is usually pretty much liquid. I keep an equal flow in and out. I always notice when I dump my grains how the different grains layer themselves according to relative size. Is this OK? It all goes to the same place right? Never had a problem with efficiency, just wondering if there are any drawbacks to this.

I fly sparge so my mash is usually pretty much liquid. I keep an equal flow in and out. I always notice when I dump my grains how the different grains layer themselves according to relative size. Is this OK? It all goes to the same place right? Never had a problem with efficiency, just wondering if there are any drawbacks to this.

What do you suppose you could do to "fix" that?

If it ain't broke........

It's just gravity settling; it's physics, and unavoidable unless you have reason to stir the grains. I imagine it helps make a nice grain-bed filter, and probably reduces flow a bit. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a stuck sparge; then maybe stir every so often.

Back