CO2 Refill in Northern Delaware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzplug

Reaction score
Just kegged my first batch and the used CO2 tank is running low. Can someone tell me where I can get my tank filled in Delaware. I'm in the Bear-Newark area.

Thanks,

Ron

There are a lot of places. On old baltimore pike near the Valero there is an industrial park. In there there is a keen, they will do swaps if thats what you want. On airport rd and 141 there are about 5 other places. There are a couple in New Castle too.

Keen, albe drive (off old baltimore pike) as stated above.

may try hoopes though for my next fill.. i have my own 10lb tank that keen sends out and takes a week (not my primary tank)

G&E Welding Supply

Home

11 bucks,fill while you wait and you keep your shiny new bottle instead of trading it for some rusty piece of crap.

Address is on their site.

I had an out of date tank and keen didn't even look and just swapped it. FYI

Didn`t mean to bust on keen by any means,
I`m a certified welder ,I deal with both shops,I just prefer
G&E ,you may want to check them out,it`s a lot closer to you . Their on Commons Blvd. Between 58 and 141 by the NC Airport.

Oh, I have been to them too. I was just saying that if you want a swap or have an old tank then keen is your place. Keen is right down the street from where I work though too.

Do you know if G&E will fill a co2 tank with beer gas?

Out of all the places around us there has to be one that will do it. Now I just have to figure out which one.

Sorry for raising this thread from the dead... but I've come across it countless times when searching for answers to my gas (vendor) related questions, so I thought it worth filling in a few details about gas vendor questions that seemed somewhat unanswered previously.

I headed out the other day to get my tanks (Beer gas AND CO2) filled the other day for the first time (bought the CO2 full from a HBS and JUST got beer gas tank earlier in the week). I started out hitting up a Keen (West Chester location), as they came up on google maps as being pretty close. I get there, and the guy is a complete prick and has no clue what Beer gas is - I explained the whole Nitrogen / CO2 mix deal and he's like "oh Guiness Gas" (uhh, yeah!). So on top of lousy customer service, they also only do swaps. I took a look at the other tanks, and they all looked like they had seen their better days. On that note, I walked out and took my (empty) tanks with me.

Next, I headed to G&E, because I had a few errands to run in that neck of the woods anyway (DMV, and a few things from BJs). I come in with both tanks and the guys were very knowledgeable. I decided to take a little different approach and said I needed N/CO2 mix for the one tank, and the guy says "ah, Beer gas" which made me feel right at ease that I was at the right place. The prices were very reasonable (26 for both tanks from completely empty - $11 for CO2 and $15 for beer gas). They also do fill (not swap) so for those like me that have brand new tanks and don't want to get someone else's rusted out banged up tank, definitely a good place to go.

I apparently went on the "wrong" day of the week though, as they had just run out of beer gas earlier that day. They had a truck on the way already (from Wilmington), and told me that if I came back in an hour, they'd have it filled for me. I swung over to BJs and did some shopping and before I was even done, they went out of their way to call me and let me know that the tank was filled. THAT is service, and something you don't hear about very often! They won a return customer for life!

So, G&E is totally the place to go in my opinion. They're right off of 95, have great prices, knowledgeable staff, beer gas, and they don't swap. If you're looking for a vendor, it's worth checking out at the very least!

281 Airport Road, New Castle, DE 19720-1540

Definetly going there next time I need a fill. Hoopes is friendly but their prices seem to go up each time I go in. 20 bucks for a 5# tank now....sheesh.

New to this....If I am just filling a tank for a home kegerator should it be "Beer Gas" or is plain CO2 fine?

Thanks for helping a newbie:mug:

You want CO2... at least for most beers. Beer gas is nitrogen / CO2 mix, that is typically used for stouts (commercially it's used in Guinness, Boddingtons, etc)

New to this....If I am just filling a tank for a home kegerator should it be "Beer Gas" or is plain CO2 fine?

Thanks for helping a newbie:mug:

I'm glad you asked that question. I was curious as well. Also, nice to see a Smyrna/Clayton area brewer. I'm in Clayton and was beginning to feel alone.

Hoopes was very friendly but over priced IMO! 15 dollars for a 4lb tank! I will have to check out G&E. Thanks guys!

I've been giving G&E all my business lately. While the guys there aren't as cute as the girl at Hoopes, they are great guys with a consistant price. Last time I was in Hoopes I noticed that they had finally posted their prices. I think the kids that were filling the tanks were just pocketing the cash. Hell, I know they were. Enough complaints musta brought on the sign. Too late for me though.

I'm also going to bring this thread back from the dead... Just got two co2 tanks filled at G&E, a 10# and a 15#. Prices were $21.90 and $24.15, respectively. I had called Hoopes to compare prices and their 15# co2 fill would have been $48.

I'm also going to bring this thread back from the dead... Just got two co2 tanks filled at G&E, a 10# and a 15#. Prices were $21.90 and $24.15, respectively. I had called Hoopes to compare prices and their 15# co2 fill would have been $48.

Yep, Hoopes lost me as a customer years ago. Worth the drive north to G&E.

I was just at hoopes yesterday. Their price for my 20 pound was $35. I'm done. I'm going to try keen next time with that tank, it's going to need to be hydro tested soon.

I was just at hoopes yesterday. Their price for my 20 pound was $35. I'm done. I'm going to try keen next time with that tank, it's going to need to be hydro tested soon.

My experience with Keen is they only swap (unless you go to the main facility in Wilmington). So, if you have a nice shiny aluminum tank, your going to get a nice rusty steel one back. If your tank needs hydro'd, G&E will send it off you, or swap you the same kind of tank. An aluminum for an aluminum. Can't beat that.

My experience with Keen is they only swap (unless you go to the main facility in Wilmington). So, if you have a nice shiny aluminum tank, your going to get a nice rusty steel one back. If your tank needs hydro'd, G&E will send it off you, or swap you the same kind of tank. An aluminum for an aluminum. Can't beat that.

That brings up a good point. I bought my 20 pounder on Craigslist. It has a Keen tag on it. Do they care where it came from? They won't be like "Thanks for bringing our tank back. Have a great day", will they?

I swap my 20lb tanks at G&E for $18 each. They usually will let me on the dock so I can swap my aluminum for aluminum.

Hey guys,

do you guys know of any other places that have longer hours? I don't get out of work until 5pm, and looks like most of these places are closed by then...

Hey guys,

do you guys know of any other places that have longer hours? I don't get out of work until 5pm, and looks like most of these places are closed by then...

Where are you located? I need to fill a tank. I can take yours too.

Where are you located? I need to fill a tank. I can take yours too.

Pike Creek, near Tyler's.

I certainly appreciate it! ....but I'm leaving tomorrow for work until Saturday. I'm hoping that How Do You Brew has some canisters avail to swap when I get back (They didn't yesterday)

Thanks!

Pike Creek, near Tyler's.

I certainly appreciate it! ....but I'm leaving tomorrow for work until Saturday. I'm hoping that How Do You Brew has some canisters avail to swap when I get back (They didn't yesterday)

Thanks!

Any luck getting your tank filled?

I'm in southern de near Rehoboth. Is there a place down here to get a 5lb cylinder refilled?
Just got it for Xmas.
Doug

Just had my 10lb cyl. Filled at Roberts oxygen in Seaford, DE. $21.35.
The local HOMEBREW store wanted $40.00.

Price update September 2017 in case anyone is interested:

Keen $23 5 lb exchange
42 Albe Dr Ste A Newark, DE 19702 (off of Old Baltimore Pike)
http://www.keengas.com/
(302) 292-2215

G&E $15 refill while you wait
281 Airport Road, New Castle, DE 19720-1540
http://www.geweldingsupply.com/
(302) 322-9353

Hoopes $20 5 lb refill
124 Sandy Drive, Newark, DE 19713 (Sandy Brae Industrial Park)
http://www.hoopesfp.com/
(302) 323-0220

Back