question about brewing with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mre24j

Reaction score
How long does honey need to be in the boil to make sure you kill of any wild yeast that might be present. I want to try and make a hop slam clone but one of the recipes I was looking at said to add the honey with 0 min left in the boil. I would imagine that you are asking for infection with something like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you don't boil the honey at all

when you're chilling your wort, keep an eye on the temperature when the temp gets down to 155F then its time to add the honey

if you boil the honey you get the sugar, but the honey taste will be destroyed

good honey has such a high sugar content that it is a very hostile environment for bacteria, so don't worry about an infection from honey. Honey is a natural antiseptic.

Heating up to 37°С causes loss of nearly 200 components, part of which are antibacterial. Heating up to 40°С destroys invertase, an important enzyme. Heating up to 50°С turns the honey into caramel (the most valuable honey sugars become analogous to sugar). Generally any larger temperature fluctuation (10°С is ideal for preservation of ripe honey) causes decay."[39]

Honey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yeah... great information.

One discrepancy is that 155F is 68C. In this sense, honey sugar becomes normal sugar.
So what's the best temperature to add honey?

My only honey brew came out a bit too dry. I think I will give honey a try if i know how to use it now.

Glad to help, spending inordinate amounts of time on HBT has to pay off somehow :)

I still would add honey after primary fermentation has died down, that will give the yeast a chance to eat the more complex sugars first.

Honey is often use to dry out a beer, you may want to try adding lactose if you are looking for some residual sweetness in your beer (or crystal malts if you want a caramel sweetness)

Back