BLC and using a keg to clean my lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
normally when i clean my kegerator i break it all down shanks and all and soak, rinse and reassemble. i just bought some BLC and looked up how to use it and everyone shows a hand pump connected to what looks like a nalgene bottle and its pumped manually. i was wondering, is there a problem with using BLC and water mixture in a clean keg and pumping it through my lines and faucet using CO2? why bother with the handpump and bottle?

I've just started using BLC. When I finish a keg I fill the line with BLC and leave it like this. When I want to use the line again, I flush out the BLC with water and hook up to a new keg. I store the BLC in a keg and the rinse water in another keg.

Hi,
normally when i clean my kegerator i break it all down shanks and all and soak, rinse and reassemble. i just bought some BLC and looked up how to use it and everyone shows a hand pump connected to what looks like a nalgene bottle and its pumped manually. i was wondering, is there a problem with using BLC and water mixture in a clean keg and pumping it through my lines and faucet using CO2? why bother with the handpump and bottle?

I used to do the same. I built the hand pump version because:
1) didn't always have a spare keg to use when I needed it
2) CO2 costs money and I don't want to use anymore than I have to. When the cylinder runs out, I have to make a trip somewhere to get more.

After doing the keg method and the hand pump method I find the hand pump easier to use. After a soak and rinse, I can use plain pumped air to blow the line almost dry. After that, I run some StarSan through the line, wait a few minutes, then blow out the excess. The tap line can stay closed and sanitized until I need it again.

Back