Peach Brandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishpride42

Reaction score
If you all remember about 4 weeks ago I started a (non-distilled) peach brandy, well today is the day it is supposed to be bottled and I have a few questions. I am putting it in pint sized mason jars and am going to put a few peach slices in each jar. The recipe called for raisins on the second week and I was curious as to what part they played. Next question is, should I filter it when bottling it? The recipe said to bottle it with the lids on loosely until clear (how long am I looking and how loose to the tops need to be?) Will it turn clear with the extra fruit in each bottle or would it be fit to drink in a day or two? Sorry for all the newb questions I just want it to taste good.

Thanks
Zach

I have no idea on the loose lids, fruit inside, etc. so I'll defer to someone else. I would recommend not bottling until it's done, however. If you're bottling, but keeping the lid loose, I think it's not done fermenting, and you may also get some vinegar bacteria (acetero bacter) in there.

But, about the raisins- raisins are great for adding body to wine. I use raisins in my dandelion wine and it gets a bit of "legs" from this as well as a little flavor. I mean, raisins are dried grapes, so that kind of makes sense. I use only golden raisins in white wines, though. I think the brown would be unappealing in the color.

Yea I have waited until the airlock was done bubbling I may get one or two in a hour or two span.

Thats what I figured as far as the raisins went just wanted to make sure.

Is that dandellion wine good? Do you have a good recipe for it?

PEACH BRANDY

Ingredients :
2 qts. peaches, cut up
4 lbs. seedless raisins
2 packages wine yeast
10 lbs. sugar
3 gal. boiling water
1 large lemon, ground with skins

Preparation :
Put everything in crock except raisins and yeast. When lukewarm
pitch yeast. Stir every morning and night for seven days
then add raisins and let stand 3 weeks without stirring. After 3
weeks syphon and put in gallon jugs with lids on loosely. Let stand
until clear, pour into bottles and seal tightly. Makes 2 1/2
gallons.

This is my altered recipe but like I said I am still not sure about the bottling in jugs and what not because of wanting to add peach slices to it.

irishpride42 said:
Yea I have waited until the airlock was done bubbling I may get one or two in a hour or two span.

Thats what I figured as far as the raisins went just wanted to make sure.

Is that dandellion wine good? Do you have a good recipe for it?

Yes....................................:D

(If you look under people's avatar, their posted recipes are right there!!!!)

I think the raisins will add tannins because they are dried grapes, skins and all. another possibility is to add oak chips to a few bottles and see how that turns out, I dont think ive ever had a real peach brandy but a lot of distilled drinks are aged in oak. both the oak and the raisins should add body and some color, the oak will likely add a slightly tannic quality, a bit of sweetness and caramel, and some vanilla notes. which i think would be nice in a peach wine.
with the the sugar you listed in the recipe you may need to age it a while to mellow out, if you taste a bit and describe it as best you can other people maybe able to give more suggestions.

Do you think I should only bottle one tonight and try it before I bottle the rest?

Yea yooper sorry about that I guess I could have looked before asking :drunk:

irishpride42 said:

If its still bubbling it is NOT done, thats the reason they tell you to leave the lids loose. If you are in a carboy with airlock I would leave it until it stops bubbling completely and it is very clear, not cloudy what so ever. Then you can add some sulfite and bottle in sealed bottles.

You are making a wine not a brandy. Wine is fermented fruit. Brandy is distilled.

I would not additional fruit in the bottle/jar. This "wine" is not strong enough to prevent the fruit from spoiling and it will also cause some cloudyness in the bottle.

Craig

I think the recipe sounds great. I've made Dandelion wine what I used were old wine bottles with balloons on top and everyday I let the air out. I was afraid if the air were to get in it could mess up the mixture. Well 9 bottles later they were all great! Happy Trails.........

I will soon start a peach brandy recipe similar to one noted in this thread. Am using a 5 gal open-top crock. Any advise on if/how to cover for the initial 7 days, and then for the following 21 days?

irishpride42 said:
PEACH BRANDY Ingredients : 2 qts. peaches, cut up 4 lbs. seedless raisins 2 packages wine yeast 10 lbs. sugar 3 gal. boiling water 1 large lemon, ground with skins Preparation : Put everything in crock except raisins and yeast. When lukewarm pitch yeast. Stir every morning and night for seven days then add raisins and let stand 3 weeks without stirring. After 3 weeks syphon and put in gallon jugs with lids on loosely. Let stand until clear, pour into bottles and seal tightly. Makes 2 1/2 gallons. This is my altered recipe but like I said I am still not sure about the bottling in jugs and what not because of wanting to add peach slices to it.

Sounds great can't wait to make batch!

Back