Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has not been true in my experience. This isn't beer or beer yeast; things take a lot longer to ferment out. If anything, some of my batches have taken more like 6 weeks to finish fermenting, much less clearing.

Me, too. My basement is at 61F, and this was a very slow, steady fermentation. I would say 6 weeks minimum for my batch.

Ok, so I didn't read every one of first 993 pages...
I'd like to ferment back in the orginial jugs the apple juice came in, which I read isn't an issue.

Can I just loosely put the caps back on so the CO2 can excape, but nothing can fall in?

Spartangreen said:
I'd like to ferment back in the orginial jugs the apple juice came in, which I read isn't an issue.

Can I just loosely put the caps back on so the CO2 can excape, but nothing can fall in?

Haven't done it myself, but from what I've read, it shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you're using the Montrachet yeast, which doesn't need much headroom. Might want to put a piece of tape on there to prevent the cap from (un)screwing.

Also have not tried this, the main thing I don't like about it is dividing the yeast evenly. It seems like you'd either have to eyeball it or find some more precise way to measure, which is a bit more yeast handling out in the open than I'm personally comfortable with.

It'd probably be fine though.

I just finished my second batch. My first batch was in the fermentor for 1 month and then in bottles for 2 months. This time I left it in the fermentor for 4 months and after two weeks in the bottle, the flavor is completely different. Both were dry and tasty, but this second batch has more of an apple flavor and is very smooth.

I hope to repeat this flavor here on out, have most people found that time in fermentor is better than in the bottle?

I would recommend hitting a LHBS shop and pickup a stopper and airlock. If you don't have a LHBS close and don't want to mail order, you could use the ghetto air lock from the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead thread and use a ballon with a pin hole.

I would recommend hitting a LHBS shop and pickup a stopper and airlock. If you don't have a LHBS close and don't want to mail order, you could use the ghetto air lock from the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead thread and use a ballon with a pin hole.

A basic "ghetto" airlock can be easily made from any lid with a 1-2' chunk of hose. If you want to have nice seals and be reusable, pick up some rubber 5/8" ID grommets from your local discount hardware store (anywhere from $1.50 each to 10 for a dollar, depending on where you find them). Drill a 1/2" hole in your lid or container and insert the grommet.

Shove a little 3/8"ID:5/8"OD hose (you probably already have some around you can cut the end from....of use a siphon hose) into the grommet and drop the other end into a bucket/jug/bottle of water and you have an extremely effective airlock (i.e. a "blowoff tube" - pretty standard in homebrewing beer).

Without grommets, you can just wrap the and of the hose with some layers of plastic tape and shove it through a neatly drilled hole (I'd use a drillbit and a leather glove) - just be careful your hose exits the hole vertically to maintain a good seal.

I just finished my second batch. My first batch was in the fermentor for 1 month and then in bottles for 2 months. This time I left it in the fermentor for 4 months and after two weeks in the bottle, the flavor is completely different. Both were dry and tasty, but this second batch has more of an apple flavor and is very smooth.

I hope to repeat this flavor here on out, have most people found that time in fermentor is better than in the bottle?

Time spent in the fermentor with the yeast (both alive and spent) as well as other sedimented byproducts will mean that different reactions will occur within the wine versus time spent in the bottle with a much smaller amount of live yeast and little to no spent yeast or other sediments.

The odd sediments include things such as proteins, enzymes, oils, fruit particles, etc. both from the original juices and from the yeast's reactions, many of which are strong contributors to flavor (many even in minute amounts), both pleasant and unpleasant. When you transfer into bottles, you are separating your product from most of these sediments. Looking at it this way, it is easy to see why extended time in the fermentor with fruit particles can contribute a fuller flavor of the fruit. In the same way, extended time with a larger amount of active yeast give the yeast time to clean up many of the more unpleasant byproducts of fermentation, making a smoother product.

However, the extended time in the bottle will allow the product to finish clearing, allowing the last of the yeast to be removed from the taster's glass and allowing the "converted juice" to truly stand on its own (the apple flavor doesn't actually develop much in the bottle, it's more that the other flavors are slowly reduced, allowing it to shine through more).

opus345 said:
If you don't have a LHBS close and don't want to mail order, you could use the ghetto air lock from the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead thread and use a ballon with a pin hole.

When I was younger/poorer we made ours with a couple feet of appropriately sized pvc tubing which you can get super cheap at your nearest lowes and did it blowoff style. Balloons can stress/pop but worst case is your glass of water gets knocked over with a tube.

Can you just go yeast starter air lock style? Some sanitized foil over the top? Although I guess that wouldn't work so well if you are using a bucket and lid.

Any air breathable type cover is fine. I use a coffee filter over my pyrex measuring cup. If I'm going to let the starter go overnight I rubber band it. If you use foil keep it loose so the air can get in. You basically just want to keep dust/hairs out since that is the carrier if bacteria.

[EDIT] Didn't read back far enough. The above info is for making a yeast starter not primary ferment. Sorry.

I've done primary ferment in apple juice containers with a loose lid. Got a sample sour cherry cider I started last night going just like that. Once primary is done it's going in a glass Snapple juice bottle under air-lock. [/EDIT]

Balloons can stress/pop but worst case is your glass of water gets knocked over with a tube.

Agreed. I have a number of airlocks myself and for fermentation's with an attitude, I always use a blowoff setup. It looked like Spartangreen was looking for a low cost option.

I wasn't looking to buy another carboy. But I will as the taste was said to improve. That was the kicker for me. I found an excuse to pick up another. I just thought if I could get it done back in the bottles without compromise it'd be a win.
Great advise on this topic. (thread)
I'm looking to have drinkable product for tailgate season. Fall 12'

What is the difference between using 100% apple juice and apple juice from concentrate? Is there something in the process of concentrating the juice that ruins it for apfelwein?

Most juice is from concentrate. Concentrate transports cheaper. Ed's Tree Top Juice was from concentrate (Post #574). If it is good enough for Ed, its good enough for me.

Do I have to move to secondary? Or can I just let it sit in primary 1-2 months without effected taste?

I think you just came up with a reason to start a second batch.

Use the first one to bottle after 1 month in primary and the second one to leave in primary longer 2-4 months. Kinda what mdatum did. I think you will find the flavor improves in the batch that is left in the primary longer. How long is too long seems to be a good question and may be relative to the patience of the brewer/assembler.

Personally I am a balloon lover. I've had balloons pop on me, and replaced the balloon that day with no major issue. With the exception of the lavender JAOM I made (yick!), all of my JAOM's and Apfelweins that I have made under a balloon lock have been palatable at worst.

I dont think the flesh eating virus I have contracted has anything to do with it...

Seriously though, I think a balloon is perfectly reasonable until you can get an airlock.

Just bottled mine, I made it in early february and somewhat forgot it's existence. It smells like apple juice, but the taste is not that great.

Anyway I bottled it in one liter bottles and added 5g sugar each to get some bubbles to aid the taste.

+I added cinnamon sticks to two of the bottles just to see if it could get a bit christmasy before christmas.

So I made this last night. Fun and easy.
I picked up a new 6 gallon better bottle, and everything from Ed's orginal recipe.
I did find that it was easier to just pour the 2 lbs of sugar through the funnel into the carboy. Same for the yeast packet.

I plan on letting this sit until October.

Brewed up the first batch of what I think will be many last week and it's happily working away. Plan to let it sit until fall but am thinking I may need to heed Ed's advice and get another batch going here pretty quick.

I have the carboy sitting in our pantry and initially my wife was wondering what the smell was but now she's saying 'this is going to be good...'

Thanks Ed.

Well it's been exactly 2 weeks since I started my batch of this. I followed the original recipe exactly except I did not put any extra sugar in it, just the 5 gallons of apple juice. The OG was 1.050 and the current SG is 1.006, so right about 5.8% ABV. It definitely still has a little apple taste to it, doesn't taste too dry, still has a little sweetness to it. I plan on tasting it every week or so until it doesn't seem to be changing much and then carbing it in bottles. Thanks Ed!

In 4 days, I will be at 1 month since pitching this batch. It doesn't look like it's clearing up at all yet. I know many of you say wait 2-6 months for it to clear, but some said they had success in about a month with it clearing.

I'm planning on bottling it in a mix of beer bottles and wine bottles (since that is what I have on hand). I'm not planning on carbing it or backsweetening it. I am bottling it all in another week, so between 4.5-5 weeks from pitching the batch. Even if it's not clearing in the next week, I'm still bottling. Going to do another batch at some point and let go for 2 months in primary to compare, and then at 3, etc...

Just hope the wine bottles hold up as I don't want bombs if all the yeasties aren't at the bottom of the primary yet. Can't wait to test it while bottling, and testing it thereafter :).

I had it in the fermenter for four months Dec. - March. (roughly two months primary, then secondary with pectic enzyme to try to clear it two more months), no clearing. Bottled early March, didn't start getting really clear until early June, still is not 100% clear. Tastes great, though......

In 4 days, I will be at 1 month since pitching this batch. It doesn't look like it's clearing up at all yet. I know many of you say wait 2-6 months for it to clear, but some said they had success in about a month with it clearing.

I'm planning on bottling it in a mix of beer bottles and wine bottles (since that is what I have on hand). I'm not planning on carbing it or backsweetening it. I am bottling it all in another week, so between 4.5-5 weeks from pitching the batch. Even if it's not clearing in the next week, I'm still bottling. Going to do another batch at some point and let go for 2 months in primary to compare, and then at 3, etc...

Just hope the wine bottles hold up as I don't want bombs if all the yeasties aren't at the bottom of the primary yet. Can't wait to test it while bottling, and testing it thereafter :).

It doesn't matter if the yeast are still in suspension- what matter is whether or not they haven't finished the sugar off yet. Yeast alone won't make any CO2 if there is nothing to eat. At worst, there may be a little CO2 in solution in the fermenter, but at room temp, this will be fairly miniscule and won't typically cause a problem.
Yeast waking up and finishing sugar off in the bottle, now that's an issue, and will be a problem if you don't have a bottle designed to hold the CO2 produced.

I recommend checking your gravity. It should be fairly dry if the sugars are done, with a gravity right around 1.000 or a little less (depending on yeast, maybe a couple of points higher)
You can always cold crash it if you're fermented out and the yeast just haven't dropped yet. A fridge is an easy way, but a swamp cooler with ice/frozen water bottles will work just fine.

Been a long time lurker, but after coming across this recipe I just had to join in on this thread!

This is my first batch of apfelwein, and my first brew of something other than beer. I "brewed" yesterday following EdWort's recipe, and so far things are going great. I woke up this morning to find it bubbling like crazy, giving off a nice apple aroma.

Coming across this recipe came at a great time. I had some surgery recently and have been given strict orders not to lift anything over 15 pounds. Since that pretty much rules out my normal beer brewing (a sack of grain for my imperial IPA weighs a tad more than 15 pounds after it's been mashing for an hour HAH!) I got to looking for something easier to make, and this apfelwein fits the bill perfectly! Plus it does not hurt that the wife and I both like hard cider type drinks. She already asked when it will be ready, because she wants to try it now!

I'd also like to say this thread has been very informative, I've starting reading from the beginning and have picked up a ton of great info. Still got a lot to finish reading, I'm only up to page 73 so far :)

I made a batch its about 3 months old. I was racking to a secondary yesterday and took a sample, it just tasted like watered down apple juice. Is this normal at this point?

Well I just assembled my first batch in one of my weird blue 18L carboys.

4 gallons Tree-Top from costco, most of a 3L Langiers from the grocery store, 2 pounds of light brown sugar, couple teaspoons of yeast nutrient, red star premiere cuvee yeast. This is near the bottom of the neck.

I could have sworn that i bought some montrachet wine yeast but i couldn't find it.

Since i have two of these carboys - which are useless for beer in the batch sizes i want to brew - i am considering starting another one soon w/ montrachet and corn sugar, for comparison.

I started my first batch June 22, 2012. Three (3) gallon of 100% Publix brand apple juice, one (1) pound of corn sugar, montrachet
Wine yeast, 3 gal better bottle carbon. Will let ferment in this primary for 2 months, then my intentions are to rack over to a 3 gal glass carboy. I know it can stay longer, but since I'll been doing wine for quite some time I perfer to rack over this as I do my vino. I figure it will good enough to table a bit for Christmas then just let the remainder bulk age for another few months then bottle and store.

Just started my first batch this afternoon. Earlier this week I was in Safeway and noticed they had their brand of 100% apple juice on sale for $1.99 for 1/2 gallon so I went to pick some up today. When I got there, I found it on sale for three 1/2 gallon containers for $5.00, or $1.67 for one 1/2 gallon container - $16.70 for five gallons of apple juice!

Nish65 said:
I've left one batch going for 13 months, undisturbed and then bottled it - very hard to ignore it for all that time but well worth the wait.

Cool. I was jw just because some say not to leave it on the cake for mere that 3 months

I just started my first batch tonight. My girlfriend made me put cinnamon and 2 cloves in... oh well. Finished putting airlock in at 10pm and at 4AM it is already bubbling. 6 weeks to go!

I started my first batch last week with 3 gallons of apple juice, 1.5 lbs light brown sugar, and red star premier cuvee yeast(LHBS didn't have Montrachet). I threw it all together Thursday 6/28 and just pitched the dry yeast pack right over the must. The OG was 1.066 and by Friday I heard and smelled some activity(in a bucket...so not much visual)...I heard some fizzing inside and smelled some gasses when popping off the lid but no air lock activity.

So this morning now on the 5th day still with no airlock activity I thought I'd check the SG and see where I was. With spoon sterilized ready to degas and agitate the yeast figuring I still had a way to go the gravity checked in at 1.006

I really didn't think it would be that close to finished...I did take a taste and I couldn't believe how carbonated it tasted, so I did degas it a bit as it finishes up. It tasted pretty good...pretty sweet obviously, but plenty of apple character to it. I'm really anxious to see how it ends up.

I've gotten good results with my AG beer brewing over the past couple of years, but I tried a "fruit brandy" recipe from a friends late father and it turned out to be a turpentine/rocket fuel mix and I had to dump it. It was the worst stuff I'd ever tasted, so I was a little apprehensive to try anything dealing with fruit again...but this stuff seems fool proof.

Just sampled my 1st batch upon racking to secondary to free up my better bottle. All I can say is, wow that was easy, and damn good, even at only 3 weeks or so. I have a question though. I followed originally recipe on page 1, but for only a 4 gallon batch, my original OG came to 1.052, I didn't have more sugar, so I let that go a week or so until it went to about ~1.00, I then added table sugar to bring it up to 1.022. Upon racking today it was 1.006. How should I figure the ABV for a late sugar addition like that? Is it just 1.052 + 1.022? as my new OG?

Thanks again for the community for making this so easy. Next time I will take better notes so I remember what the hell I just did.

John

once i free up one of my carboys i'll be doing my 4th batch of this.. i'm using the costco brand applejuice which is not from concentrate so its the first time i'm really changing it up.. i'm also working on my keezer, one of the aspects of which will have 2 different psi settings so i can serve it with only like 5 or 6 psi instead of my usual beer 12psi.. i like it a little less carbonated but my current hardware doesn't allow for that.. my brother in law also really liked the taste so i may be making a double batch for favors for his wedding next year..

Just sampled my 1st batch upon racking to secondary to free up my better bottle. All I can say is, wow that was easy, and damn good, even at only 3 weeks or so. I have a question though. I followed originally recipe on page 1, but for only a 4 gallon batch, my original OG came to 1.052, I didn't have more sugar, so I let that go a week or so until it went to about ~1.00, I then added table sugar to bring it up to 1.022. Upon racking today it was 1.006. How should I figure the ABV for a late sugar addition like that? Is it just 1.052 + 1.022? as my new OG?

Thanks again for the community for making this so easy. Next time I will take better notes so I remember what the hell I just did.

John

I took no measurements of my OG. I expect it should be slightly harder than the recipe on page 1 because i used about a quart less juice but the same sugar.

I'll give it 6 weeks in primary before testing the FG and just tell people "if you have to ask you shouldn't be drinking it"

I've made 3 batches of this now with a friend and each time it ends up having a very sour taste. The first batch we followed the EdWort recipe exactly, but the other two we changed up the sugars. The result has been the same a sour tasting wine. We left it in primary for over a month. Anyone else get something sour?

Back