Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy570

Reaction score
Im probably gonna get raked over the coals for this but here goes: I ferment in plastic buckets with spigot. When I rack to secondary I rig up a funnel under the spigot. Inside the funnel I place a paint filter, such as one gets at an auto parts store for filtering auto paint. They work very well for catching hop and grain particles, and I have never had any infection issues, as alcohol has already been produced, taking care of any bacteria that might be present. Where I live, I can go to the auto parts store and get these filters free of charge, cutting down on my brewing costs as well. Im sure the sanitation police will start after me, but they have to find me first

Actually, I was thinking less sanitization and more oxidization. :)

Using those paint strainers might be best when you're transfering your wort into the primary rather than into the secondary. It gets the particles out and doesn't increase the chance of oxidization. :)

But it's your beer, more power to you. :)

I use a big strainer going into primary, but some small particles still get thru. When I rack to secondary, I put the filter inside a funnel under the spigot. I then run a hose from the funnel into the secondary fermenter and keep the spigot on a slow run, keeping aeration to a minimum

I think a lot of us (most of us?) just let it all settle out in primary/secondary and still produce pretty clear beers. I agree with Kevin though... it's your beer and if you're happy with it, do what makes you happy (and drunk).

the amount of alcohol in a typical beer is NOT enough to ward off bacterial or wild yeast/mold infections.
i see plenty of posts where some bottles are infected, and some are not, due to inadequate bottle sanitizing.

neither your spigot nor the filter/funnel appear to be getting sanitized. you're increasing your risk factor in a big way if you ask me.

I rack to secondary the traditional way, use no finings other than irish moss in the boil, and I get nice clear beer.

Will filtering the beer as it is siphoned into the bottling bucket have any effect on the in-bottle carbonation process? My goal is to reduce the yeast sludge in the bottom of my bottles.

If it works, it works. If you were concerned with sanitary issues, just make a small bottle of star san or sani-clean and spray down your gear during the transfer. IMO- you probably run more risk using racking cane and tube from siphoning if your stuff isn't very clean and sanitized.

If you really want clear beer and minimal sludge, invest in a fridge or freezer so you can drop the temp of the beer down near freezing or let it lager in your basement until it's crystal clear.

Back