carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctwtp

Reaction score
is there a more precise method to carbonating wine compared to adding a teaspoon of sugar at bottling and hoping?
would appreciate and tips and stories that anyone has

is there a more precise method to carbonating wine compared to adding a teaspoon of sugar at bottling and hoping?
would appreciate and tips and stories that anyone has

That is precise. as long as the wine is dry and the correct amount of sugar is added you will be good to go. The horror stories come from when people didn't do it right. They add the sugar to the entire batch and then don't properly mix it so you have some still wine and some bottle bombs, or they don't make sure the wine is dry first, or they use bottles with chips and scratches. as long as you are accurate with your measurements you will be good to go. If you want to make it even simpler you can use Carbonation Drops they are already measured out for you. although they are more expensive than sugar by it self.

Nice! I'd test a 20 oz and store it for a while to see how it goes. You can always smell it to see if it turned in to vinegar. I assume this method won't have much or any sediment at that bottom since your not adding more sugar, keeping the yeast inactive. I'd like to hear how it goes either way!

I'm certainly hoping it will be a good alternative. there should be no sediment at all seen as you process it just before you bottle it.
I'm planning on buying a cheap wine and testing it, I'll keep you posted

vinegar and wine is a BAD idea!!!!!!!! even CO2 produced by vinegar and soda still has a vinegar smell. You don't want vinegar anywhere near your wine. a better alternative would be lemon juice... or acid blend in water would be better still. The acids in lemon juice and acid blend, when mixed with baking soda, will create the same reaction, but these are things we use in wine and contamination would not be an issue.

sorry everyone got a bit in a bit of mess seen as my car decided it wanted to break down completely :/

hoping to get it done today though

vinegar and wine is a BAD idea!!!!!!!! even CO2 produced by vinegar and soda still has a vinegar smell. You don't want vinegar anywhere near your wine. a better alternative would be lemon juice... or acid blend in water would be better still. The acids in lemon juice and acid blend, when mixed with baking soda, will create the same reaction, but these are things we use in wine and contamination would not be an issue.

Noted! ty!

sorry everyone got a bit in a bit of mess seen as my car decided it wanted to break down completely :/

Lame :(

Back