Brutus 10 type system help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
So I just bought this today:

10 gallon All-grain brewing system

:rockin:

So I need to get 2 love controllers and an asco valve for the propane to automate things. I've searched this site for the last 15 minutes looking for the cheapest place to buy this. I know I could search the internet and find some, but I'm not sure which brand, etc I should go with. I know a picture could probably help, but don't have one yet.

Also - the steel framing is a bit rusty and I am thinking of sandblasting it then getting it powder coated... would this hold up to the heat or should I just paint it with grill paint.

Thanks!

So I just bought this today:

10 gallon All-grain brewing system

:rockin:

So I need to get 2 love controllers and an asco valve for the propane to automate things. I've searched this site for the last 15 minutes looking for the cheapest place to buy this. I know I could search the internet and find some, but I'm not sure which brand, etc I should go with. I know a picture could probably help, but don't have one yet.

Also - the steel framing is a bit rusty and I am thinking of sandblasting it then getting it powder coated... would this hold up to the heat or should I just paint it with grill paint.

Thanks!

You didn't look hard enough I guess. No problem.....Check this thread out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheapest-suppliers-common-equipment-84456/. The Sabco Brew Magic frame comes powder coated and holds up extremely well to the heat of the burners. I have their frame because I was too lazy to weld one up. It also looks very pretty all powder coated. Here is a picture of what it looks like in all it's powder coated glory, brand new.

Brew Magic 1.jpg

Here is what it looks like after several brews. I just wipe any soot right off the stand after each brew and it looks like new again.

black_dog8.jpg

i had mine powder coated and just washed it for the first time and it looks great, slid kegs across the top and no scraches, the powder coat came off the burner supports about 2'' down fron the top of the support, if you look at my rig the supports are close to the burners.

Nick

Yeah, I had mine powder coated as well and it came off right around the burners. The guy told me it was high temp too, but apparently not high enough...ah well.

You didn't look hard enough I guess. No problem.....Check this thread out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheapest-suppliers-common-equipment-84456/.

Thanks! I did run across this thread, but I guess what I'm asking is what is the difference of the $45 controller v. the $65 one? I didn't know if one would be better for my system than the other... I'm a noob here... thanks!

OK - I need some more help here... I'm a noob and learning a ton as I go....

So the system is set up like Brutus 10 but uses HERMS. So from right to left I have HLT (keggle with burner), MT (10 gal water cooler), BK (keggle with Burner). The system uses one march pump and about a dozen (guess) valves. Like I mentioned I purchased this set up off of craigslist and it is missing the temp controllers and the asco valve. So this is where I need help. I need to maintain the temp inside the MT during the mash, this is done by circulating the mash thru a copper coil in the HLT. The valve where the mash leaves the cooler has a protected insert for the temp probe. Am I correct in saying this control will keep HLT water at about +3 degrees of what I want the MT at? This temp control will be hooked up to the asco valve feeding the HLT? The guy I purchased from mentioned I needed two temp controls. I'm guessing the 2nd is to heat the HLT to sparge temp? I guess I don't understand how this would work... How does the valve know which controller to listen to? Any help is appreciated!

Okay - I think I figured it out. The MT temp controller is hooked up to the march pump and kicks it on when the wort gets to cold and circulated it thru the HLT coil. The other controller regulates the temp in the HLT.

Now - would these controllers work for what I need?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bfs/1329771835.html

Also - I have been searching this site for a model number or something to help me find the electronic controllable valve that fires the burner for the HLT... I want to order one asap, but don't know exactly what I need! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back