Substitute for Tettnanger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
I am looking for a substitute for Tettnanger hops used as flavor and aroma in Ed Worts Kolsch recipe. I have many other varieties at my house but not this one.

I just listened to the "Hop Shortage" show on BBR.com, and Chris Colby said Santiam is a good sub(I planted two rhizomes of this last year, but didn't get any hops off it b/c I planted super late, hopefully next year I'll get a bunch). He also said a hop called Vanguard(sp?) is a good sub for Hallertau. He also said both of these should be available.

gwood said:
Liberty or Fuggle would also work quite well as a sub for Tettnanger.

Would you substitue 1oz for 1oz Fuggles for Tettanger? I'm looking for a sub for Tettanger too and I have lots of Fuggles...

beergears said:
"Hops Suggested Substitutions", as a Wiki page someday...?

Yeah being a relative novice and not knowing what the difference is between most of the hops, some sort of thread or Wiki post that lists the closest alternatives for hop carieties would be very helpful, especially as the shortage limits our options.

Hallertau, Spalt, preferably, as noble alternatives.

Failing that, NA derivatives like Mt Hood, Crystal, Liberty, Santiam.

ohiodad said:
Would you substitue 1oz for 1oz Fuggles for Tettanger? I'm looking for a sub for Tettanger too and I have lots of Fuggles...

I haven't done this sub personally...that said

Fuggles are something like 3.5 to 5.5 AAU and and Tettnang are 3 to 5 AAU so that would most likely be ok in terms of AAU. However, Tettnanger is a bit more spicy than Fuggles in terms of flavor profile (Fuggles are a bit more mild from what I've read but I'm sure that this is going to vary from source to source).

Just my two cents but I'd guess you could get away with it, depending on the style. You may get more variance with some rather than others. Using Tettnang in an ESB might not turn out as good as using the Fuggles in a more traditional German lager that just lacked a bit of the spicy bite that the Tettnang would offer.

Back