Irish moss or gellatin finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
Which one of these I better to use? I am planning on using the Irish moss.

I just use Irish Moss but to be honest I have forgot it before and the beer turned out fine with a cold crash before bottling.

I used to use Irish moss/Whirlfloc religiously with OK results, but I was brewing a beer for competition once and wanted to get it as clear as possible. Instead of Irish moss/Whirlfloc I used gelatin and I am a convert. Clearest beer to come out of my brewery for the last 10-12 batches.

Do you add the gelatin at the same time that you would add the Irish moss?

Do you add the gelatin at the same time that you would add the Irish moss?

You can add it any time after primary fermentation is complete, but I always add mine at bottling time. Let 1 tsp of gelatin bloom in cold water for 1 hour, heat to approximately 170 F and mix to dissolve, cool and add to bottling bucket (or keg) with priming solution.

You can use both because you use them in totally different ways. Irish moss is a kettle fining- it goes into the boil 10 or so minutes before flameout. Gelatin is used in secondary (or right in the keg if you keg)- you need to mix it fully with fermented beer and then cold crash it for 48+ hours (72 is my standard gelatin time).

Back