Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eBIAB:

6252480164_f3f44a14f7.jpg

Are we just supposed to post the finished product? Super-fast build log style:

Still need to mount the control panel to the side (with a television wall mount) and the pumps (not sure yet), add some pegs for hanging up tubing, add stripper pole...

Floor to kettle's top is 54", I built it low profile on purpose to access the kettles easily without a stool. Thanks.

I was looking to the stout. but notice theire pot have like a skirt. a step and raize it from the stove. dont know how this will behaive. my goal is to get to 50gal kettle x 3 fit in my brutus. will see

charles

tanks were bought in VA polished and flow across US to PR

the kettles are raised from the bottom because the MT has a bottom outlet which is very nice instead of having a front port. The BK has a concave bottom to allow the trub to stay out of the fermenter, also very effective.

Here's my setup at the moment. Still debating what I want in a more permanent setup. Snow is coming down in west Michigan today so I'm in the garage.

image-249562029.jpg

image-2445828923.jpg

image-4048006349.jpg

Here's my brew rig. I tried to stay simple and keep away from pumps and valves but as you can see I ended p with a march pump for the plate chiller.
The basic design is from Ken Thornton at Wichita Homebrew Supply. www.txhomebrew.com.
I do my brewing in our pool house so this is designed to work in that environment. The turf tires are handy to get it to my shop a couple hundred feet away for the occasional welding mods and It has casters to maneuver into the closet when I have to make room.
Nothing too fancy or automated and we've managed about a hundred gallons of very good beer so far this year.

Are we just supposed to post the finished product? Super-fast build log style:

Still need to mount the control panel to the side (with a television wall mount) and the pumps (not sure yet), add some pegs for hanging up tubing, add stripper pole...

I almost just got up and went to the store to get a Tocabaga after seeing that, Nice work!

ebay. I wheel the rig just outside the pool house when I brew and can keep an eye on it from inside (at the bar).

I find that pretty funny, and practical...while some are putting remote sensors and hooking rigs up to wifi to monitor from afar....Whichitalineman simply just chose a big ass dial face...cheers!

I knew I forgot something on my brewstand design !

I just have to ask... does that feature make brewing more or less compatible with SWMBO ?

My buddy is building his own brewing rig and he sent me a photo of it today, so I thought I'd share since he's not an "internet guy". It's far from finished but you can get an idea of where he's going with it. I gotta admit...I'm jealous now:p

beerrig003.jpg

I like the concept of wooden brewstands, but I shudder when I see gas burners on them. Its probably just my personal hang up, but I'd be afraid of burning that thing down.

Its too bad that stand is made of wood. What your friend did could easily be adapted to a steel design, using a 4x4x1/4" piece of steel tube for the center. It would take less than a couple hours to cut and weld the base and post.

Local brew clubs should have a "weld a friend a stand" day to help out people that need help with their stands.

He can weld, so I'm not sure why he chose to build it this way. He did mount shields to help to protect the center stand. I'll won't talk to him until the weekend, but I'll ask him why he went this direction.

Dumb question but is this an electric setup?
Yup, as others have confirmed it is an electric brewery modeled after Kal's setup at TheElectricBrewery.com. I got my control panel mount so I've got that on there now along with the pumps. Need to fill the screw holes and repaint but I'm going to wait a month until I have anything else I think of to stick to it.

In case anyone's wondering, the pumps have no problem priming at that height difference, even with just a couple gallons in the kettles. I'm going to remove them and add some neoprene foam into the mounts to absorb some sound vibration as well as provide a little neoprene umbrella to protect them further from drips.

Finally got mine done. I can't take all the credit as I bought the stand, pumps, and burners from a buddy but upgraded with keggles, RTD probes and auber PID's. First brew on it shaved an hour off my brew day!

photo by ArtVandleay, on Flickr

I like the concept of wooden brewstands, but I shudder when I see gas burners on them. Its probably just my personal hang up, but I'd be afraid of burning that thing down.

Personally, I like the setup pretty well for a wooden stand. Dude's got heat shields in place...industrial size, more than plenty to dissipate the heat. I wouldn't anticipate a the possibility of fire on that rig, even in a rigorous triple batch workday.

Only real issue I see is that there's gravity working there and no easy way to take advantage of it. (Valves, especially.) That and I wouldn't entirely trust that mash tun mount, especially when approaching 50-70lbs on a big bill, unless I'm not seeing something.

insane is short!! maxoout you BK and mlt are gas burner or electric. I also saw some back lines to the 15 gal keg yu use them in the process? I will like to see the fermentators.

All Gas. I use the original 15 Gallon set up to temper and measure water from the Instant Hot Water Heater, kind of like an HLT and I also use the herms coil during mash recirculation. You can see my fermenters here -

Choosing A Conical Fermenter

New picture. Manual control electric gravity fed setup. BK goes to the floor for filling before going onto the induction plate.

ElectricBrewery.jpg

Here's mine. I went with Synergy Metal Working's brew stand. Converted my keggles with the help of Bobby from Brewhardware.com.

The grain mill platform is off on the left side, fermentation chamber kegerator on far right and just to the left of it is the serving kegerator.

Steve

002.jpg

Only real issue I see is that there's gravity working there and no easy way to take advantage of it. (Valves, especially.) That and I wouldn't entirely trust that mash tun mount, especially when approaching 50-70lbs on a big bill, unless I'm not seeing something.

Keep in mind this is still in mock-up stage. He still has to put ball valves in his kettles, run his hoses etc. He's planning both valves, sight glass and thermometers on his kettles. I'm not sure if he's finished completely with his self mounts yet either. He just wanted to show me where he was headed with this rig.

Details:
- an Arduino controlled (Pano-Matti) heating + volumes (flow meter now, scale to be added for the BK)
- Fully automatic mash time/temperature control
- CFC-HERMS
- 2 pumps, one for the HERMS. A bigger one for HERMS-CFC-heating, same pump takes care of the whirlpool as well.
- Pumped whirlpool with "conical" BK, no filtering needed, just hops in a bag
- 3kW (2*1,5kW = works on normal 10A (230) socket) BK with stepless power control
- 2kW HLT, that is used for the CFC-HERMS + sparge water + cleaning water
- A lot of brass fittings and 2nd hand stuff :)
Panomestari.jpg

First stage of my Wallace-style build. Next stage is to get some pumps running, and then eventually get some temperature control working.

BE8C31A9-4259-472C-B757-FD536464598E.jpg

C79A6C02-BAD4-4370-8EF7-DFA9A50092C5.jpg

This is my FINALLY finished electric brew system and brew sculpture. Don't fret your little face....everything is GFCI protected my friends. PRetty awesome though with the 5500w element, got my strike water from nearly freezing in my garage to temp in less than 20 minutes....just insane for a 11 gallon batch. (Oh yeah, sorry for the Vikings playing on my laptop...haters)

Brew Stand.jpg

Brew Stand 2.jpg

Brew Stand 3.jpg

Back