First IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EA18Brewer

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first recipe so give me your wisdom.

Intruder IPA

1lbs Breiss Caramel 40 (155 deg for 30 min)
7# Light LME
1# Pils extra light DME

1oz Galena 60 min
2oz Galena 50 min
2oz Challenger 30 min
1oz Irish Moss 15 minutes
1oz whole leaf Citra Dry hop in secondary

Yeast: Wyeast 1272 prepared as a 650ml starter with 1/2 cup DME

I just put this in the primary yesterday and it is bubbling like mad. OG was 1.065 calibrated. I will be using DME for bottling. What do you all think?:drunk:

EA18Brewer said:

Intruder IPA

7# Light LME
1# Pils extra light DME

1oz Galena 60 min
2oz Galena 50 min
2oz Challenger 30 min

I just put this in the primary yesterday and it is bubbling like mad. OG was 1.065 calibrated. I will be using DME for bottling. What do you all think?:drunk:

I'd adjust your hop additions to:

.5 oz Galena 60 min
.5 oz Galena 20 min
.5 oz Challenger 20 min
1 oz Galena 5 min
1.5 oz Challenger 1 min
1oz whole leaf Citra Dry hop in secondary (just throw it in primary after 4-5 days and skip secondary)

IPA is defined by late hop additions. The way you had it would make a bitter beer with little hop aroma/flavor. Cheers!

I was kind of looking for a dryer bitter flavor. You may be right though. I probably should have stretched out the second addition and added the challenger in the last 10 minutes or so.
Like I said.. I am an amature.

EA18Brewer said:
I was kind of looking for a dryer bitter flavor. You may be right though. I probably should have stretched out the second addition and added the challenger in the last 10 minutes or so.
Like I said.. I am an amature.

Don't dry hop and you'll get a dryer perception. For a proper IPA, you gotta have those late hops ;)

I am not really familiar with those hops but I usually go with a hop schedule of
60m
15m
5m
1m
dry hop

Drop the hops into a calculator like Beer Calculus. Move them around to get the IBU's you want.

Intruder IPA

7# Light LME
1# Pils extra light DME

1oz Galena 60 min
2oz Galena 50 min
2oz Challenger 30 min

The amount of hops you're using is about right, but the distribution of those hops is all wrong.

For something on the bitter side, your first 60 minute addition should yield 40-45 IBUs. The late additions (anywhere from 15-10-5-0) will give you the rest of your IBUs along with awesome aroma. If you find that you're still not bitter enough after you design the recipe, then add a small charge of hops at 30. Dryhop with 0.50 oz. hops per gallon of beer (my minimum). You could go up to 0.67 oz. per gallon for a regular IPA.

I find that 0-5% crystal and 8-12% sugar is best for an extract IPA. But it's all about what you like.

It looks good on the base, I would have stretched out the hop additions though. You will get that juicy citrus aroma from the dry hopped Citra, but it won't be dominating like I think you are expecting. Your beer will lack the aroma, but will have the dryness you mentioned to go after.

With that 1272 strain, you might want to figure what you are going for flavor wise, and stick to the temps too. It's not as "clean" as 1056, but gives you the option to have it a little fruity tasting, and make the hop bitterness pop if you let the temps ferment warmer.. Or keep it low, and it'll give you a light clean citrus profile.

Would I be able to salvage a little more aroma if I do a secondary dry hop of another 1oz Citra? Maybe 1oz for 2 weeks and 1 oz more 1 week?

Yeah, you could.. I'd say do 2 oz for a week, and then another 1oz for around 3-5 days, and then bottle or keg. If kegging, you could toss the last oz in the keg and dry hop in the keg.

Be warned that too long on the dry hop could impart some grassy flavors. That said.. My Simcoe IPA I did over a month ago, sat on hops for almost 3 weeks. 2 week with 1 oz, and another week I added another .5 oz. I just tapped the keg, and it's outstanding, no real off flavors that I can pick up.

I think I will do that then, thanks. Another question though. I seem to have a ton of trub in the carboy. A bunch stuck in the top from the first couple days of vicious fermentation, and a bunch clumped at the bottom. I feel like I should have filtered the wort into the carboy. Will this produce any off flavors if I keep it in the primary for the full two weeks?

Nah, it won't cause any issues at 2 weeks. The gunk is normal. I strain, and I still get that junk in my beers for the most part. It's hop and yeast gunk, and krausen that has stuck to the sides.

Sounds like a normal healthy brew, just waiting to be dry hopped.

Also, forgot to mention, if you are dry hopping with whole cone, be warned that you will lose some beer from them soaking it up!

Well I tasted it after about 4 days while taking a gravity reading. The gravity said 1.011 which kind of surprised me. It was already something like 7%. It tasted completely foul. Ridiculously bitter and alcoholic. I would say it was ruined by the hop schedule, or even contaminated. Looks like I will be re-doing this one with a completely different hop schedule. Beer calculus put my IBUs at 124!

EA18Brewer said:
Well I tasted it after about 4 days while taking a gravity reading. The gravity said 1.011 which kind of surprised me. It was already something like 7%. It tasted completely foul. Ridiculously bitter and alcoholic. I would say it was ruined by the hop schedule, or even contaminated. Looks like I will be re-doing this one with a completely different hop schedule. Beer calculus put my IBUs at 124!

Ohhhhhh, give it some time!!!!!!

I think you were way to hasty. Dumping a batch of beer is rarely the right choice. Especially 4 days into fermentation.

Should have let it age. You don't know how it would have tasted after being in the bottle a while. The beer tastes completely different after sitting for a while. The alcohol taste would probably have mellowed.

I am not one for denial. I tossed the whole thing. We live and we learn. I am changing up the hop schedule that will yield around 70ibu. Should be a little more up my alley.

A sad, sad thing, my friend. I'm certainly not one to speak, but in this game, patience is certainly a virtue. I'm willing to bet that beer would have turned out absolutely fine had you given it the proper time. 4 days into fermentation will very rarely taste the way you expect. Man, oh, man... moment of silence for a beer that never really was, and really could have been...

I think you were way to hasty. Dumping a batch of beer is rarely the right choice. Especially 4 days into fermentation.

Should have let it age. You don't know how it would have tasted after being in the bottle a while. The beer tastes completely different after sitting for a while. The alcohol taste would probably have mellowed.

AGREED! Learned this with the last tripel my brew pal and I put out. At first taste, the alcohol was so overpowering we nearly spat it back out. We let it ferment in a secondary for a good amount of time, let it condition in the bottle and a few weeks later, vuala! Success! Excited to crack another one, or three...this week while on vacation. Patience, patience, patience. :rockin:

Yikes! Never pour/dump a beer because it tastes bad after a few days. If that was the case my RIS would be long gone. That's like tossing $ down the toilet.
Good luck on the next one.

Haha I guess the loss of a batch of beer cuts everyone pretty deep here. I suppose if I had another primary fermenter I would have kept this batch and started another to see how it turned out.

Haha I guess the loss of a batch of beer cuts everyone pretty deep here. I suppose if I had another primary fermenter I would have kept this batch and started another to see how it turned out.

Not really. Just giving advice based on experience and the experience of others. Just buy another fermemter. They are like $15.

Back