Simpleminded Continuous IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoyer01

Reaction score
OK, so here's the deal. I have been brewing IPA as my number one brew for 8 to 10 years and have turned out some pretty cool stuff. I am now on a quest to put together a killer and super simple continuously hopped IPA. I am basically looking for One base, one color, one hop, that's is and that's all. Below are my thoughts and I welcome any and all comments and suggestions. I am listing a partial extract recipe just until I have it down.

For 6.5 gallon boil
6lbs Gold LME
3lbs Light DME
5lbs Caramel 20L
7oz Chinook Hops 6 continuously hopped over 90 minute boil 1 for dry hop
Irish Moss last 15
Gypsum from first light
WY 1098 British Ale Yeast

Yes, I am shooting for high octane, but this comes out too thin in my mind with no other adjunct grain additions. I was thinking about doing 40L for the caramel for more of an imperial IPA feel, but I think the gold LME will have it dark enough. I also want that british ale yeast richness that is why I am shunning an american ale yeast. I have used orange zest in my dry hop before very successfully and think it may be warranted here to cut the jolt of the chinook. Thoughts, concerns, tell me I'm an idiot. Whatever.

This isn't a partial mash recipe. It's extract.

I'm not sure what you want us to say about it either... did you have a question?

It appears as if you're into a lot of fads, that is, Continuous hopping, SMaSH brew, 90 minute boil when it's unnecessary, and messing around with amendments like orange zest in an IPA.
I'm not sure what you mean by high octane (I assume high abv) but you're using a low attenuating English Ale yeast w/extract, which will be quite difficult to keep things dry and high abv.

Sorry, the 5 was supposed to be .5

Yes, I have been brewing for about 15 years total. No, I have never tried a 1,1,1 recipe like this. I've used Chinook extensively, but never exclusively in a brew. No I've never continuously hopped anything, but I kinda like the results in beers I have tried.

I've used orange zest at dry hop sometimes and have not done it in others. It seems to reduce that initial jolt from a heavily hopped IPA but not reduce the overall bitterness that I look for.

This whole post was truly just a question unto itself. Would something like this actually work? I am seeing that my fears were not unfounded.

Latest posts

Back