Summer beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wranglerx16

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a summer beer.. Last year i did a summer kit w orange and lemon peels. Turned out very popular .. Any suggestions?

A saison is good. Cream ale's are good, if you like Pilsners. A light hopped Pale Ale. Heffewezzen is good. A wheat beer is good. Take your pick bro. What are you a fan of? Bell's seasonal is Oberron which is a wheat beer. Take your pick. It's kind of what do you like?

If you're looking for something along those same lines, and looking for a kit, Austin Homebrew Supply has a Honey Hibiscus Wit or a Lemongrass Wheat. I've personally never tried the honey hibiscus wit, but it seems to get good reviews. The lemongrass wheat I have tried, and it's pretty darn good for a summer beer.

If you're looking for something non-kit, check out the recipe section! There's a whole category for fruit beer ;)

Edit: got beat to it XD

Depends on your tastes, but in my experience blondes, wits, and saisons are crowd favorites at summer BBQs. I love a nice hoppy APA or an IPA on a hot day.

At my house. I will probably try to keep one hoppy beer and one lighter ale on tap all summer.

Thanks for all the replies.. Right now I started back w the summer shandy.. Was looking for something similar to that. I enjoy ipas alot as well. But figured something a bit lighter for a hot summer day

Shaneoco1981 said:
A saison is good. Cream ale's are good, if you like Pilsners. A light hopped Pale Ale. Heffewezzen is good. A wheat beer is good. Take your pick bro. What are you a fan of? Bell's seasonal is Oberron which is a wheat beer. Take your pick. It's kind of what do you like?

Any suggestions close to a shandy or a Weiss ?

What do you guys consider the best option after primary fermentation? Transfer off to secondary ? I've done both ways..?

What do you guys consider the best option after primary fermentation? Transfer off to secondary ? I've done both ways..?

I only secondary if I am racking onto fruit or making something that ages (like a barleywine). I primary for 2 or 4 weeks and then I bottle or keg.

WickedLB said:
I only secondary if I am racking onto fruit or making something that ages (like a barleywine). I primary for 2 or 4 weeks and then I bottle or keg.

If you leave in primary then straight to keg or bottle you don't think there are any off favors due to the years cake? I tried that w one batch and something seemed off I thought that might be it?

Ramitt said:
I love gumballhead in the summer. I have a batch fermenting now.

I actually just ha that yesterday and it was very good. Do you happen to have the recipe for it? I have found a few online but they seem a bit different

Back