TINY black bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymousbrew

Reaction score
i have the TINY black bugs on the undersides of my leaves. I thought they were spots of mold or dirt or something, but when i looked closer, they move! They are seriously tiny and when i rub them off the leaf, they leave a brownish mark on my thumb.

I've searched the interwebs for an ID, but no avail. Any ideas?

not really seeing any webs. Are spider mites that small? these guys are so small i cant get a picture of them, and they're multiplying pretty quickly.

dangit - yup - RED SPIDER MITES

SON OF A FAT LADY NAMED JENNY!

looks like i'll be in full assault mode when i get home

Yeah, super small. Here they are all over a leaf:

http://www.opinion250.com/images/spider_mites_1.jpg

A pretty safe way to control most small pests (except hard-shelled beetles) is insecticidal soap. You can either buy a special soap from your garden center, or just use a little dish soap and warm water in a squirt bottle. Spray the undersides of your leaves. The soap breaks down the protective mucus on soft-bodied bugs and they dry out and die.

I feel bad, I had searched spider mites, and every other bug under the sun, but for some reason didnt catch the sheer minuteness of these little buggers. I'll run the soap trick first, as that seems the most immediate and least chemically approach. Just when everything started looking so good in the Hop Yard!

thanks gents

Tobacco water works well. Soak a couple of cigarettes or of cigar pieces in hot water and steep until brownish. put in spray bottle and pray on leaves. This kills all sort of pests and is fairly natural.

Latest posts

Back