Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badranath

Reaction score
I've been trying as many pumpkin ales as I can get my hands on and Pugsley's series smashed pumpkin is the best I've tasted. It is big and malty with an amazing pumpkin pie flavor at the end. I want to make a 5 gallon partial mash that will come as close to possible. The back of the bottle mentions the malt and hops that are used and I think I can mimic the spice,(tastes like any generic pumpkin pie spice), but I'm not sure about putting the whole recipe together.

I emailed Alan Pugsley and he actually responded! He told me the malt ratio was 35% wheat, 2% Munich and the rest 2 row. I didn't ask him for a whole recipe, he was nice enough to respond at all and I didn't want to be pushy. The bottle mentions hallertau and Willamette hops and I am trying for just enough hops to balance out a 1088 OG - 9%ABV

Can any of you guys offer suggestions on how a 5 gallon partial mash recipe would look? I am going to try and use canned pumpkin and I am guessing around 60oz because that seems to be the common amount in some of the pumpkin recipes I've seen.

8 lbs wheat LME (which is only ~50% wheat)
3.5 lbs pale DME

Mini-mash 5 oz of Munich malt plus however much wheat malt and/or pale malt you want. You'll need to reduce the extract depending on how much you mash and what sort of efficiency you get.

I'd go with a single addition of hops near the start of the boil for ~30 IBUs. How much will depend on the AA%. You can certainly

For beers where I want to really taste the spice I like to add it either in secondary, or as a spice tea at bottling to taste. You can always add more so go easy at first. Make sure you use fresh high quality spices (avoid the temptation to use the old tin of pumpkin pie spice mix that has been sitting in your cabinet for five years).

Hope that helps, good luck.

I brewed this last week.

3Lbs Light DME
6.6 lbs Cooper's Wheat
2 Lbs 2-Row
1 Lb Dextrine
8oz Munich Malt
1 oz Hallertau 60 mins
1 oz Williamette 30 mins

I mashed the 2 row, dextrine, and munich along with 4lbs of canned pumpkin for an hour at about 155. 60 minute boil

Right out of the fermenter the pumpkin was very pronounced. I pitched two packs of S-04 and it has been bubbling for a week at 65 degrees

I am going to primary for 3 weeks then rack to a secondary with a spice tea. I will likely just use pre mixed mccormick pumpkin pie spice.

I opened a bottle of this over the weekend and it was almost exactly what I was hoping for.

I let this beer sit in the secondary for four weeks on top of 2 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice that made a tea out of. The spice flavor is just right but could have been better if I'd have made my own mix with fresh spices instead of using mccormick's from the grocery store. The extra time really mellowed the beer and all of the alcohol burn that was present out of the primary is gone

The beer is big and malty up front with a hint of pumpkin flavor then finishes with the pie spice. I am really happy with it and I think it is a pretty good knockoff of the shipyard smashed pumpkin

hey guys I did a review on this , a really great beer! its the best pumpkin ale i've ever tasted .. cheers to SHIPYARD! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/epicbeerdude?feature=mhee#p/u/0/i0hKVJtec0c[/ame]

Back