Yoopers Sawtooth Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
I brewed Lorenas Sawtooth clone today, but I converted the extract recipe to AG. According to Beersmith I scored an 89% efficiency! During the mash I bottled my first lager, an Oktoberfest. It's been a heck of a day

Yooper Chick said:
Let me know how it comes out! (I might have to pester you for the recipe, since I'm too lazy to do the conversion myself)

:)
I hate math so I went out and got ProMash. Now I can convert recipes with no trouble at all.
I can convert yours if you like.
I'm betting Evets will probably give you his converted recipe as well. :mug:
Edit:
Here's a preliminary attempt. I'm not sure about the Munich extract so this may need to be adjusted a tad. Your hop utilization will be better with a full wort boil so they may need some adjustment as well.
A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.50
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.93
Anticipated SRM: 9.0
Anticipated IBU: 33.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
21.1 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
63.2 6.00 lbs. American 2-row America 1.037 2
10.5 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
5.3 0.50 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00 23.8 45 min.
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.50 9.7 15 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
WYeast 1098 British Ale

Thanks, Rich! I did a full wort boil with the extract, and I like the bitterness I got with it. 33 IBUs seems about right to me. What did you mean about adjusted the munich, though? Is 2 pounds too much or too little?

This one, along with the Dead Guy clone, are going to be standbys around here.

I used 5# Maris Otter and 4# Munich malt. Everything else stayed the same except I used Safale s-04 because that's what I had on hand. Actually, I've never had Sawtooth, so I won't really Know how it turns out. I just thought the recipe looked good.

Yooper Chick said:
What did you mean about adjusted the Munich, though? Is 2 pounds too much or too little?
Your recipe calls for Munich extract and I'm not exactly sure what's in it. The more Munich you use the maltier the beer will be. I've never tried a Sawtooth so I'm not sure about that part. The amount of grains I've listed will get you in the gravity range of your extract recipe.

(I need to try a Sawtooth now!) :mug:

Evets said:
I used 5# Maris Otter and 4# Munich malt. Everything else stayed the same except I used Safale s-04 because that's what I had on hand. Actually, I've never had Sawtooth, so I won't really Know how it turns out. I just thought the recipe looked good.

I love maris otter malt- that sounds good. At a microbrewery in Calumet, MI, the brewer, Tim, told me that's the only base malt he uses now.

I think I've used s-04 in the Sawtooth clone in the past, as it was summer and impossible to have liquid yeast shipped. Let me know how this is- it's really a favorite around here and we're about out.

Rich- you HAVE to try a Sawtooth. A very nice ESB, and it's made just down the road from you! No excuses!

Yooper Chick said:
I love maris otter malt- that sounds good. At a microbrewery in Calumet, MI, the brewer, Tim, told me that's the only base malt he uses now.

I think I've used s-04 in the Sawtooth clone in the past, as it was summer and impossible to have liquid yeast shipped. Let me know how this is- it's really a favorite around here and we're about out.

Rich- you HAVE to try a Sawtooth. A very nice ESB, and it's made just down the road from you! No excuses!
maris otter would be good in this beer. I'm heading to the liquor store tomorrow to try and score some Sawtooth.:mug:

I know this is an old post, but I just had my first,( and am having more...) , sawtooth, and it is awesome! I looked here for a clone, so I can make it this weekend:rockin:

Back