Bottling Sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So I managed to get the beer into the bottles but it was pretty brutal. Lots of spills, a few capping mishaps, leaky tubing, tons of cleanup... when do we start kegging???

Speaking of cleanup, how do you guys dispose of your trub? I went down the sink with it (figured it would help clean out the pipes) but I didn't know if there was a better method.

TheJadedDog said:
So I managed to get the beer into the bottles but it was pretty brutal. Lots of spills, a few capping mishaps, leaky tubing, tons of cleanup... when do we start kegging???

Speaking of cleanup, how do you guys dispose of your trub? I went down the sink with it (figured it would help clean out the pipes) but I didn't know if there was a better method.

I dump it in the bushes unless it has a lot of hops in it. If it has hops in it, I dump it down the drain (b/c hops are poisonous to dogs, and I have a boxer that eats plants).

-walker

So far each of my brews has been extract, lme/dme. I just save the empty lme can and dump my trub back in it. Then I just place it in a bag, tie it off, and drop 'er in the garbage.

Mine goes right into the compost pile too, though I do throw out the whole hops when I strain them, as they are not good for the chocolabs...

TheJadedDog said:

The best recommendation I got was to put the empty bottles upright in the top rack an empty dishwasher. My top rack holds almost enough 22oz and 16oz bottles for a 5 gallon batch and most spills go right in the dishwasher.

My trub goes in the garden

Yes, bottling is the least fun part of homebrewing.

I dump the trub in the toilet - just don't forget to flush! If I was not in an apartment I would dump it in the woods.

feedthebear said:
The best recommendation I got was to put the empty bottles upright in the top rack an empty dishwasher. My top rack holds almost enough 22oz and 16oz bottles for a 5 gallon batch and most spills go right in the dishwasher.

seems like a great idea! last time i bottled i ended up with a large towel nearly soaked in beer. maybe im just messy, but the dishwasher idea seems golden.

Wheat King said:
seems like a great idea! last time i bottled i ended up with a large towel nearly soaked in beer. maybe im just messy, but the dishwasher idea seems golden.

I line my bottles up on the inside of the dishwasher door...bucket on the counter above them. Works like a charm. Any spills are on the door where they can be washed off next time I do dishes.

I then bottle on top of a towel and rinse the bottles after capping.

You know a good substitute for a dishwasher would be to get a cutting board, tray, or bucket the size of the bottom of your sink (so it sits relatively flat), and putting your bottles in it for filling. Spills are still contained.

I looked up hop toxicity for dogs. It causes, “malignant hyperthermia”: heavy panting, rapid heart beat, high fever, and carbon dioxide increase in the blood stream. Treatment: cold water baths to keep temperature down and a trip to the vet for temperature control and antibiotics.

Greyhounds and similar breeds seem to be at the highest risk.

no way. bottling is great. i can do 20 gallons in just under 2 hours. i personally love it.

fezzman said:
I line my bottles up on the inside of the dishwasher door...bucket on the counter above them. Works like a charm. Any spills are on the door where they can be washed off next time I do dishes.

I then bottle on top of a towel and rinse the bottles after capping.

dude thats genius....:mug:

aekdbbop said:
dude thats genius....:mug:

Glad ya like it. It came from the mind of a genius. Oh wait, I read about it in someone else's thread. :D It works great though.

I after I fill the ones on the door, I just pull more empties out of the dishwasher and line them up.

My mulch pile is also enriched with trub.

Oh yeah, you do have a bottling wand and an autosiphon don't you? If not, I'd highly recommend it. They help a lot. Definitely get a wand.

I absolutely love bottling day nowadays. Im done in about 15 minutes.

Of course, I should rephrase that, and say I love kegging day now.

Bottling was the only thing I really disliked about brewing. I may bottle again, but not anytime soon.

I use the dishwasher door also. Easy peasy with the clean up and all the bottles are right there. Then I stack them on the kitchen couter, seal them and then wipe them down.

The kegging thing is making me jealous. I just don't have a kegorator :(

Chimone said:
I absolutely love bottling day nowadays. Im done in about 15 minutes.

Of course, I should rephrase that, and say I love kegging day now.

Bottling was the only thing I really disliked about brewing. I may bottle again, but not anytime soon.
I'm with you. I'm starting my Christmas beer this week, and the only thing I dread about it is having to bottle it so I can give it away.

I eat my Trub

55 12 oz bottles staring at me every time I check the Secondary.

I can hear them laughing at me...

Here is the answer:

Stop Bottling, cause you know it is not an addiction :D

Start kegging and carbonatin! You will be glad you did, and if everyone started kegging in the first place there would be more homebrewing goin on!

I don't mind the actual bottling. My next-door neighboor absolutely loves capping bottles for some reason (he says it makes him feel like part of the process), so that helps ease the pain a bit. But actually I don't mind bottling at all. I like to crank my stereo up, drink some beers and bottle. Quite therapeutic actually.

Now cleaning and sanitizing all those bottles is another story. I don't like doing that very much.

I dislike bottling too, but I cheer myself up with the thought of "next time I see you, my dear sweet beer and yeasties, you'll be getting me drunk"

My wife's getting mad about the collection of bottles in the garage, so I she's forcing me into getting a keg system some day. Isn't she just a battleaxe? :D

eviltwinofjoni said:
I dislike bottling too, but I cheer myself up with the thought of "next time I see you, my dear sweet beer and yeasties, you'll be getting me drunk"

My wife's getting mad about the collection of bottles in the garage, so I she's forcing me into getting a keg system some day. Isn't she just a battleaxe? :D

Wow, you've got it rough. I've completely taken over the spare bedroom with full and empty bottles. Oh, I certainly hope my wife doesn't force me to keg. :D

I wish I could keg, but I don't have the $$$ for it right now, plus SWMBO is starting to get that look that says, "I'm glad you found a hobby you like, but when will this insanity end?" so I'm thinking it's probably not the right time to start buying corneys and kegging equipment.

But oh how I would love a kegerator...sigh...

MrEcted1 said:
Now cleaning and sanitizing all those bottles is another story. I don't like doing that very much.

I think thats the part everyone dreads. Bottling is actually kind of fun, it's the cleaning, scrubing, sanitizing, & drying of those 55 bottles everytime that sucks.

Latest posts

Back