Stir it up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How important is it to stir the mash intermittantly? Provided you've thoroughly saturated all of the grain at dough-in what do you acomplish stirring other than losing heat?

Thanks!

I do a batch sparge and I don't stir until just before mash out. Last night I got my temperature under control, left the mash tun closed for an hour and ended up with 87% efficiency.

I do stir it up very well before closing the lid.

I don't think there is any benefit to stirring once the mash is set. I add the mash out water at 60 minutes, stir thoroughly, vorlauf and drain.

I stir every 20 minutes and fly sparge. I make sure to leave it alone for the last 20 minutes to set the grain bed. No problems here, 80% efficiency or better just about every time.

I used to stir, but I've stopped - I just didn't see any benefit. I leave the prove in the mash to keep an eye on the temp, then let it be until it's time to mash out.

I stir, but only because I mostly do direct-fired stepped mashes. So when you're applying flame to bottom of the kettle, it's important to stir to disseminate the heat. Otherwise...I do my big stir during sparge.

Back