2 weeks and still a big krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuff7129

Reaction score
I brewed Denny's Wry Smile IPA 2 weeks ago today and pitched a proper starter of Wyeast American Ale II. Fermentation temps range from 62 - 65 degrees. Attached a blow off and within 12 hours it was bubbling and in 24 hours it was blowing off like crazy. After day 4 things slowed down and I switched the blow off for a 3 piece airlock. Bubbled away for a few more days and then airlock activity ceased. Everything sounds pretty normal right? I went to check gravity today just to make sure it was done and I was going to add dry hops but I pry the lid off and I still have a 3-4 inch krausen on top. I didn't check the gravity just because I don't like to mess with a beer that has a krausen on it. Do you think it's still fermenting or do you think its done but the krausen just hasn't sunk yet? I am just curious. I don't think I have ever checked a beer after 2 weeks of fermentation and still had a krausen. I don't really have any concerns about the beer. I guess it is just still fermenting. I was just kind of surprised because it had such a vigorous start. I figured it would be done in about a week. Anyone else run accross this?

I've only brewed about 10 batches, but some yeasts leave krausen for a few weeks. From my reading this seems perfectly normal. Just do usual checks of fermentation. Smell, gravity, etc.

Sounds like you are ok!

I've had 1272 do the same thing to me it was unusual, still a nice 1 inch thick creamy krausen after about 2 weeks, I'd let it ride like everyone else suggested. I plunged through it to take a reading anyway and if I remember correctly it was at FG but still had yeast in suspension.

I had a krausen on my hefe for like 3 weeks. I used the wyeast 3068. Came out delicious! I wouldn't be worried about it. I was also a little confused and posted on the forums just like you lol

This one never did fall. It was a solid sponge. Punched on through it and it was crystal clear and finished. It did some funny slow roll big bubbling in secondary so I bottled it.

krusty krasuen.jpg

Back