Recipe for extract using Pacific gem hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepilgrim

Reaction score
G'day everyone, just joined this site and was wondering if anyone has a recipe to use for the above which they can vouch is a excellent brew. Got about 70 grams left over to use along with about 25 grams of Styrian Goldings and about 30grams of Super Alpha. Cheers:mug:

SO if you like IPAs and have 6 oz of 1 type of hop, best and most simple way to go about it would be this:

6-8 lbs of light malt
1 lb Caramel Briess 40L
6 oz of hops
1-2 tablets of whirlfloc
Yeast (depends on what you want)

pour 6 gallons of water into your pot
steep grain to 170 degrees
At 170 turn off burner remove grain add in malt extract
bring to boil and add 2 oz of hops at beginning of boil
40 mins into boil add another ounce of hops
55 mins into boil add 1 more ounce of hops + whirlfloc tablet
rest and cool after 60 mins top off with water to make 5 gallons
add yeast once your beer has cooled and store for 2 weeks. Careful as it may explode on you..not a bad thing either

After 2 weeks transfer to secondary fermenter and add remaining 2 oz of hops.

let sit for 2-4 more weeks.

After 4-6 weeks in fermenter bottle and let sit for minimum 14 days before enjoying.

This is the most basic IPA recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Whirlfloc is another form of clarifier. Most brewers prefer it over irish moss. If i have a very cloudy beer when I am done with fermenting I usually add another 1-2 tablets and let it sit for 3-5 days before bottling. It helps out alot. I rack my beer until Im happy with the color. I have done 3 racks on 1 beer more commonly only need to rack twice but it depends on what you are going for. I dont have a filter as I do not use kegs so its what ever works you know?

Gotcha, I ask because I just brewed a kit from LHBS and the recipe is very similar, some different malts and hops but it did have Irish moss and gypsum. It did not include hops for dry hopping but I have one ounce each of cascade and chinook which I was considering adding to the secondary. It's been in the primary for about three days at 68 degrees and its starting to slow down, you think I need to wait two weeks for racking to be safe? I didn't bother with OG readings because the recipe was pretty straightforward. Well I'm not worried, I'm relaxing, but waiting to have a home brew. Thanks for advice

Back